Historical Maps

I have always had an interest in maps and in particular looking through historical maps.

Working for a civil and structural engineering consultancy I get to see many a report which includes historical maps.

Came across one today that is really interesting, it is only an extract but it is for an area near Brooklands.

The whole map is in Russian and were produced by the Russian military between 1950 and 1997.

Amazingly they produced detailed maps of 103 towns and cities. All are colour coded and key buildings numbered with a corresponding schedule. The level of detail tends to indicate that they actually surveyed on the ground by people.

Has anybody else come across these.

Please note that I would post the PDF of the map but due to its source I believe I would incur the wrath of admin for copyright breach.

However this link takes you to an example

http://www.envirocheck.co.uk/envirocheck/graphics/Russian_Map_Reading.pdf

Mike

I have always had an interest in maps and in particular looking through historical maps.

Working for a civil and structural engineering consultancy I get to see many a report which includes historical maps.

Came across one today that is really interesting, it is only an extract but it is for an area near Brooklands.

The whole map is in Russian and were produced by the Russian military between 1950 and 1997.

Amazingly they produced detailed maps of 103 towns and cities. All are colour coded and key buildings numbered with a corresponding schedule. The level of detail tends to indicate that they actually surveyed on the ground by people.

Please note that I would post the PDF of the map but due to its source I believe I would incur the wrath of admin for copyright breach.

Mike

I had a look but couldn't find them Mike.

Mike

Mike

I was going to ask if there was a map of Reading, and this is it!! However, the map must date about 1970 as it shows road works that were not constructed until then. Very interesting map, thanks.

Robert Davey

Reading, Berks.

Interesting to see the circles on the map. Do they denote a blast radius?

As it's a map of where I live, I hope not!!!!!

If it is, it makes the aiming point 'Boots the Chemist' in Broad Street - an attempt at Chemical Warfare??

Edited by woa2
Spelling!!

I use 'Digimap', it's a fantastic Archaeological resource. It covers historic maps, tithe maps,geology maps as well as the whole collection to present of Ordnance survey.

Has a great layer feature where you can remove key items off required sections, as well as layer others over with GIS.

Coupled up with WW1+WW2 aerial photogrpahy it's very handy with UK defence surveys.

Interesting to see the circles on the map. Do they denote a blast radius?

Sadly the circles are something added by Envirocheck. They provide the maps for the geo-environmental reports you need got developments these days. You need to know about certain site within specific distances of the site (represented by the circles) ie: Land fill, water extraction, recorded pollution incidents.

Blast radius would be far more interesting though.

Mike