Defence Of Britain GoogleEarth

Download the kmz attachment in the first post, and open it with Google Earth. Don't panic if GE takes ages to load up after using the kmz file, it's normal, as there is a lot of info' to process. It's worth checking back on the link from time to time, as the kmz file gets updated.

Have fun!

Only downside is the amount of omissions and errors, but it can be helpful.

I have nearly 70 pillboxes in my area alone that do not appear. I will be working to list them on the SMR records over the next few months, as it seems they still get destroyed in an alarming amount! if they are not onthe SMR records then they can be removed regardless of Grade 2 listings! If the County Archaeologist has no record, then the contractors can just turn a blind eye!

If enough people have a look at the DoB database and contact their county archaeologist with info on omitted sites which should be added to the SMR as Paul is doing it would be a big step towards ensuring the sites are recorded and protected.

If enough people have a look at the DoB database and contact their county archaeologist with info on omitted sites which should be added to the SMR as Paul is doing it would be a big step towards ensuring the sites are recorded and protected.

Well said :)

I myself have been in contact with our local county archaelogist to let him know the position of a couple of places, such as the field down the road, from where I was brought up as a kid, used to have lights on poles to try and draw German bombers into bombing it rather than the town of Chelmsford.

It depends on the County Archaeologist as well, the old one in Sussex gave permission for quite a few to be demolished! Yet the new one is more sympathetic to what many regards as "new" archaeology. It's not only Pillbox but all the anti-invasion sites and military locations, they disappear at an alarming rate and it's up to us to monitor and record.

My main gripe with the DoB is never being credited yet sending hundreds of locations. I can forgive that as i'm sure it's an error! I was angry at the time!

It does need a complete overhaul as many SFG's are wrong and many waypoints on the map are inaccurate.

It is a good template to work from though, lets hope they do update it.

Anyone interested, please contact your local County Archaeologist and ask for SMR (sites monuments records) forms to record defences, no mater how small: the anti-tank cube to the pillbox, if they don't know they exist they can be removed and destroyed without anyone objecting!

Paul