Bedford powered Chevy

dog107

Hi I'm doing some work for the Air Museum at Elvington. They have a Chevy C15A which has a 6 cylinder bedford petrol engine in it. Does anyone know how to identify which Bedford engine it is. All I know is that it has Bedford embossed on the top cover. I'm trying to get it running and want to set all the gaps etc.

cheers

They have a Chevy C15A which has a 6 cylinder bedford petrol engine in it. Does anyone know how to identify which Bedford engine it is. All I know is that it has Bedford embossed on the top cover.

Usually the Bedford 28 hp engine (as in Bedford MW, OY, etc.) is substituted as it is of the same capacity as the Chev, but that engine does not have "Bedford" stamped in to the rocker cover. Is the cover secured to the head by screws around the rim? If so, it is a post war version known as the 214 cu.in. (again similar capacity).

Richard

Hi

thanks for your replies. Matt, The C15A has a GS body on it. Richard, The cover is indeed secured with i think 4 screws around the rim. Do you know when these engines were in production?

Has anyone done this type of conversion before, as in personally involved. I have been told that the army converted Chevy's to Bedford's but I am presuming that they use a QL type engine. Can anyone tell me if the clutch is from the Bedford or the Chevy.

cheers

michael

Richard, The cover is indeed secured with i think 4 screws around the rim. Do you know when these engines were in production?

Has anyone done this type of conversion before, as in personally involved. I have been told that the army converted Chevy's to Bedford's but I am presuming that they use a QL type engine. Can anyone tell me if the clutch is from the Bedford or the Chevy.

Michael,

Then you have a 214 engine, not exactly sure when it was introduced but around mid-50's, they did evolve over the years, last used in TK and TJ up in to early 80's. The QL had a 28hp engine bud with deep end in sump with strainer on oil pump, it would not be necessary to use that engine in a CMP because the front axle is further forward than a QL, giving adequate clearance. You hear stories that the army converted CMP to Bedford engines, but I am certain this was not a general case, because the British disposed of their CMP vehicles early on, having more than enough British made vehicles and spares to be going on with. These mods would have been done in civvy street, undoubtably.

I have not fitted a 214 to a CMP, but have done it to a Bedford MW. The 214 used, was a army rebuild, for a TK, the clutch housing had to be changed over in order to get the rear engine mountings to fit, then it was found the flywheel was smaller, and starter different. Other than that the rest of the engine was the same. To answer your question on the clutch, you will have to remove it or take the pan off and post a pic of the clutch. The drive plate can be relined by a motor factor or matched up for a replacement.

Richard

Hi Richard

Thanks again for your reply. I will get a photo of the fly wheel. I only go over to the museum once a week and I can't go this week so it will be a couple of weeks before I can post the picture. The 214 is mounted a little bit higher than the Chevy but the fly wheel sits through the second cross member which has been cut back to allow for this. It looks like there should be a cover over the fly wheel but this is missing, I think there is not enough room for the cover to be fitted.

Thanks again

michael

• 2 weeks later...

Right I'm not sure that you can see anymore in the bigest version. It is supposed to show the timing mark in the timing window.

I have decided that the fly wheel is chevy as TDC is stamped UC (upper center). this is how it shows it in the chevy manual. Can anyone tell me if the bedford has the same before TDC as the chevy. i.e. can I use this mark. I'm also looking for plug and point gaps. and anything else that you may think usefull.

cheers

michael

The timing mark is indeed a steel ball set in the fly wheel. So i guess that makes it a Bedford fly wheel. From that do you think I can assume that it is correct for the engine?

Micheal,

Not really :oops: I neglected to say that Chevrolet (being another GM company) also had steel balls in the flywheel. Could you take a photo of the back of the flywheel showing rim and clutch, that should give me more info.

Richard

Hi Richard

I'm having problems with the photos. I load them they are there for a bit and then they disappear. With all the excitement with the photos I neglected to say that yesterday it fired on more that one occasion but wouldn't run. The plugs are very wet when you take them out but it will only fire if the choke is fully out. Next time I'm over I will set all the gaps as per your info and that should help as well. If I get time today I will try with the photos again.

thanks again

michael

cheers Richard

I'm glad you happend by, as I load the pictures and they hang on in there for about an hour and then they vanish!

Next time I'm at the chevy I shall set it up as per your info and let you know the results

thanks for your help and patience

michael

• 5 months later...

Hi again

I finally got back to the museum and the Chevy. I set it up with the new settings (thanks to Richard) and gave the starter a spin, nothing. I messed around a bit and took a plug out to check it, it was as dry as a bone. So of with the air filter and in the time honoured fashion I poured half a cup of petrol down the carb. Pushed the starter and it fired straight away. It ran for a bit and then stopped. I kept doing the petrol down the carb thing hoping that eventually it would start to draw fuel itself, but to no avail. So now that I have the timing sorted it has developed a fuel problem. At least I know what to do next.

Thanks for all the help

cheers

michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael,

A Bedford flywheel ignition timing mark is actually a steel ball set in, so that when a neon timing light is used it shows up bright.

Plug gaps are 0.037" to 0.040" inch

Points are 0.010" - 0.012" inch

Timing degrees are not actually stated

Richard

Thats interesting, Richard.

My MW, as both you and the book say's SHOULD have the ball set in the flywheel,..............but it DOES'NT :dunno: I have some markings, instead......

(and yes, I've wound the flywheel right the way round, to check)

Bemused,............... :?

Andy

Thats interesting, Richard.

My MW, as both you and the book say's SHOULD have the ball set in the flywheel,..............but it DOES'NT :dunno: I have some markings, instead......

(and yes, I've wound the flywheel right the way round, to check)

Andy,

Over the years, things get changed, especially when they got into civvy use. I feel sure the steel ball idea was continued. Is you engine a 28hp or a later 214?