m74

landyandy

finaly got her finished today,cured the rough running,problem was 2 plug leads round the wrong way,now she goe,s a treat,she will be out on slab common next sunday the 28th if you want to see her running,might even try out the winch on a dead tank

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well what a day we had ,she performed faultlessly apart from me keep missing gears but you don,t learn without expierience,but overall well pleased with it and it drew quite a lot of attention from the people there,the only down side is the fuel consumption which is worse than the cent but i think a bit of ajustment on the carbs will be in order.next job to do on it is replace the jib rams as they are rusted over the winter so when we take her to shows next year we can show it as a fully operational arv,didn,t get much chance to take many pics as was driving most of the time but i,ve no doubt there will be many posted and videos to

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

had a day working on on the jib rams and hydralic system today,pins came out of the jib so easily as we though we would have a struggle with but not so, all going well so far,cleaned up the rams as they were rusty,all going well ,pumped 40 gallons of hydralic oil in the old girl and fired her up to bleed the system no problems,operated the jib rams in and out all looking good then tried the main winch,pulled in ok but would not work going out,fiddled about with controls still wouldent work,got out to look at the manual and guess whats all over the floor ??? nearly all the oil we had put in,turns out the pressure pipe to main winch is blown and its burried right under everthing so we now have to take the hoist winch out and the hydralic tank out to get to this f$&*£$!g pipe,oh well thats tank restos for you

also m74,s little brother has joined us from aborfield the m32

004 (2).jpg

005 (2).jpg

006 (2).jpg

008 (2).jpg

009 (2).jpg

013 (2).jpg

014 (2).jpg

Edited by landyandy

curious here who owned them before us ?

I recall the M74 coming to Beltring many years ago, soon after the museum received it. I think it may have been an exchange from either Germany or Belgium if I recall. Roger J will know.

As for the other one from Arborfield, think that one was liberated from Bosnia or thereabouts.

Edited by Richard Farrant
Hanno beat me too it !

I recall the M74 coming to Beltring many years ago, soon after the museum received it. I think it may have been an exchange from either Germany or Belgium if I recall. Roger J will know.

As for the other one from Arborfield, think that one was liberated from Bosnia or thereabouts.

the m74 was a swap for conqueror arv with a german museum and yes the m32 did come from croatia,was just trying to see who supposidly owned them before us

• 1 month later...

finally got back to the old girl after a month out and got the lifting boom fixed back in place and working.next on agender was taking off the top plate and start to strip all the floor plates out to get to the lifting winch as its got to come out to repair the leaking pipe on main winch , bit of a job as all the screws are seized solid but persivearence and the jobs done, next week to lift out the lifting winch which is now made easier by the arrival of not 1 but 2 foden 6x6 recovery trucks, bigger lifting capacity is much appreiceated which are now part of the reme collection

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

019.jpg

020 - Copy.jpg

Judging by it's markings, the M74 TRV is an ex-Belgian Army example.

Correct!

And its mate came from Kosovo not Croatia (hence the markings on the side "POD Thess" stood for "Point of Debarkation Thessaloniki" which to you and I means port. Thess was the main port for stuff going into and out of Kosovo).

I think I have some piccies somewhere of it in Pristina....

Best if the M74 origins remain hidden in the midsts of time and ancient Tank Transporting legend...........

Only decent beer in vast quantities will get more out of me.

And its mate came from Kosovo not Croatia (hence the markings on the side "POD Thess" stood for "Point of Debarkation Thessaloniki" which to you and I means port. Thess was the main port for stuff going into and out of Kosovo).

I think I have some piccies somewhere of it in Pristina....

Best if the M74 origins remain hidden in the midsts of time and ancient Tank Transporting legend...........

Only decent beer in vast quantities will get more out of me.

Paul,

Thanks for confirming where those two Sherman TRV's came from. So it seams both were acquired as bit of a prank? Just load it up and see how far one can get? That's exactly how the RAF "acquired" a Dutch Spitfire in the 1950s!

Hanno