Baldock man creates (not the only) flying Lancaster Bomber replica

Marmite!!

Baldock man creates only flying Lancaster Bomber replica.

Bert Stevenson, of Park Street, Baldock, has taken thousands of hours to create the exact replica, spending three to four hours every evening and weekend on it.

The wings span nearly 12ft in width, the length of the model is just over 10ft and it weighs 26kg - the same as a bag of cement.......

http://www.thecomet.net/news/video_baldock_man_creates_flying_lancaster_bomber_replica_1_853810

Just a thought but has the reporter only got it slightly wrong? Video is not too clear but is this actually a replica (model) of the only flying Lancaster in Britain (PA 474 aka City of Lincoln), rather than the only flying model? The write up goes on to say there is only one other flying Lancaster in Canada which is true if you are talking about full size aircraft rather than models.

Newspaper reporters: don't you just love them! It seems to me that whenever you know personally about a story in the paper, they have got the details/facts all wrong. Why do we believe what we read when we don't know anything about a story???

I had a Hells Angel (don't ask!) complaining once that the local paper was full of things that did not happen. I assumed full conspriacy theory but he explained that there were things like "dog nearly bites man" or "disaster just averted" type of stories, ie nothing had actually happened. To bring this back to topic: the flying Lancaster was appearing at its first airshow after a full rebuild. I was driving thugh Shrewsbury ( a medieval town with very narrow streets) when I saw a billboard with a newspaper headline "Aircraft crashes at airshow". I stopped, blocking the traffic and bought a paper. The story was on page 9 I think. A microlight had crashed into a tree top and the uninjured pilot was rescued by a fire engine crew.

The Hells Angel was right!!!

• 1 month later...

ITS IN THE PAPER IT MUST BE TRUE!

In Lancashire the Chorley Guardian only a month or ago reported on a collection of war time uniforms donated to a shop, one was made in 1950 and the other 1955. The 'war hero' in the following weeks paper mentioned he hadn't served in the war and that the conflict had indeed finished in 1945. A few weeks later it was about the bombing of Bamber Bridge (nr Preston) by a Dornier, lovingly illustrated by a Finnish one wth a blue style swastika on the fuselage, if it looks like a Nazi it must be one! still at least they didn't show a Finnish Blenheim

The Lancashire Evening Post on 11/05/11 ran a feature on a book about Arnhem illustrated with a picture of the bridge 'The realitities of war:the devastation after the conflict at Arnhem 1944' Shame it was a still from a 'Bridge to Far' with the mocked up tanks. The daughter of a glider pilot mentions he was taken prisoner at Arnhem and held for fours years. ' She said he rarely spoke of his experiences as a POW afterwards'. No wonder held an extra three years after the war ended in Nazi Germany.

Just think about the articles you know nothing about how accurate are they?

Edited by Whittingham warrior