Sankey Narrow Track Trailer restoration

A couple of months ago I placed a wanted ad for Sankey Narrow Track Trailer which was fit for spares. My intention was to make one good Narrow tracked trailer if I could obtain another one. Matt Rimmer responded that he had a trailer that was fit for that purpose so we arranged a rough date some time after Stoneleigh that I would pick the trailer up. The trailer was bought on the understanding that it was spares and repairs.

The fact that it looked better than the one that I wanted to restore was an added bonus so I switched it around and decided Matts trailer would be the one that I stripped down.

Link to album

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/ferrettkitt/Sankey%20Narrow%20Track%20Trailer%20restoration/

As you can see it looks pretty good when I get the chance I'll upload a picture of the loosing trailer.

SDC12301.jpg

SDC12302.jpg

SDC12299.jpg

The strip down begins half the fun was removing some of the items that I had stored in the trailer No.5 cooker for instance.

Tub partially blocked up ready for a move sideways

IMG_0705.jpg

The body tub is secured to the chassis by approximately ten of these hooks luckily they all came off without a major fight. No heat was used just common all garden oil and ignorance.

IMG_0704.jpg

The light clusters have to be removed before the tub can be moved they get in the way!

IMG_0707.jpg

Tub nearly off

IMG_0708.jpg

Tub off

IMG_0711.jpg

I had already had a go at stripping off the underseal a lot of it was loose and fell away quite easily some will have to be chipped off with an old woodworking chisel.

IMG_0710.jpg

Handbrake assembly came off the chassis very easily

IMG_0702.jpg

Chassis the shiney bits of green paint are where the underseal has lifted off.

IMG_0712.jpg

Andy,I'm glad your are getting on well with the trailer!.

Abn,the first three photos were taken at my place and the mountain behind the house is rather steep! the walls are on the 1888 maps but many are much earlier.

Matt.

Andy,I'm glad your are getting on well with the trailer!.

Abn,the first three photos were taken at my place and the mountain behind the house is rather steep! the walls are on the 1888 maps but many are much earlier.

Matt.

Matt,

I haven't much choice the missus wants to put her car back on the drive its living at my Mums at the moment.

Tub wise its a belter it just seems to have surface rust and the odd ding or two. I was surprised at how easily the tub came off, I was expecting a fight with the nuts!

Whilst it was sunny and hot I thought I'd have a go at finishing off removing all the underseal from the base of the tub.

What a swine off a job!

I ended up wiping the base down with petrol when I thought I had removed all the underseal only to find that it had exposed all the underseal that I had missed.

This is it finished.... the strap is to hold it against the trailer frame I don't want it falling on someone

IMG_0713.jpg

I found two holes one of them looks to have been at a weld from the manufacturer and the other is on a seem on the bottom of the tub

IMG_0714.jpg

Hole covered up by under sealant

IMG_0715.jpg

Edited by ferrettkitt

• 6 months later...
A couple of months ago I placed a wanted ad for Sankey Narrow Track Trailer which was fit for spares. My intention was to make one good Narrow tracked trailer if I could obtain another one. Matt Rimmer responded that he had a trailer that was fit for that purpose so we arranged a rough date some time after Stoneleigh that I would pick the trailer up. The trailer was bought on the understanding that it was spares and repairs.

The fact that it looked better than the one that I wanted to restore was an added bonus so I switched it around and decided Matts trailer would be the one that I stripped down.

Hi,

Your restoration is looking good.

Have you got to the brake drums yet? I've got one myself (23 FL 98) but the brake shoes are U/S and I cann't find any info on any replacements. Any help appreciated.

Doug

Hi,

Have you got to the brake drums yet? I've got one myself (23 FL 98) but the brake shoes are U/S and I cann't find any info on any replacements. Any help appreciated.

Doug

Hi Doug,

I found quite a bit of info on the Ex Military Land*rover forum (emlra) have you joined? http://forum.emlra.org/index.php

Relining the shoes might be you're best bet, have a look here http://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?t=9371

Plus the section for trailers and tents http://forum.emlra.org/viewforum.php?f=14

A bit ott for info (my part but everything helps) but good info all the same and no I haven't touched the brakes yet its one for the winter.

Edited by ferrettkitt

Hi,

Doug

You're best bet is to get the shoes relined. They appear to be the same shoe as used on Austin Champs