I am currently stripping down the rear brakes on my Mk1 Militant, and on removing the brake chambers I have found they are filled with grease. Anyone know if this is normal, or have I got a major problem? There are 2 grease nipples on each end of the chambers, so it maybe right, but I have never seen anythikng like it before. Any suggestions

These are the same chambers as Matador ones and yes they have Tecalemit "greasers" but these are used to introduce a small quantity of C600 oil (or Air Ministry 34/124 lubricant), They should not be full of grease.

The same Tecalemit lubricators are found at various points on Matador/Militant Chassis. Most require oil C600 not grease. The Lubrication chart (for the Matador) only shows Grease No2 used for rear hub lubrication via the Tecalemit type lubricators , every other Tecalemit lubricator on the chassis (including Propeller shafts U.J's and spring bushes) should be oil C600, apart from the trailer brake cylinder (where fitted) which uses oil 30 H.D.

Edited by antarmike

Thanks for the reply Mike, it confirms what I thought. At a rough guess, the greasers have been over used, once or twice, by over enthusiastic drivers. It did strike me as odd, I have never come across an air brake chamber full of grease. Still they don't seem to have suffered because of it, and still work fine.

Thanks again