Scorpion Restoration

I have just started to have a go at stripping down and rebuilding a Scorpion CVRT. My friends and family recon it is beyound my time and patients so here goes........

One week in and i have the engine panels off etc and i'm hoping to work out how to get the seized J60 engine out.

I have used about 5 lires of diesel to loosen off rusty bolts etc and have only lost one knuckle so far.

A few bolts are far too rusty and will have to be ground off - which is a shame as i will now have to try and get them out and rethread - which i have never tried before!

18032011376.jpg

18032011378.jpg

18032011374.jpg

18032011377.jpg

18032011375.jpg

Hi Bruce,

Restoring a Scorpion is not too difficult, I prefer working on them to anything else. We are doing 2 Sabres at the moment.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21491-CVR(T)-Sabre-49AT37/page2&highlight=49at37

Just do a bit at a time, little things like cleaning all the crap out of the inside make a big difference. I can tell from the engine colour that this is a Belgian vehicle, so has probably been stood for quite some time. Get a wet/dry vacuum cleaner in there and see what you can find under the floor of the turret.

Let me know if you need any bits, I can usually help out with most parts.

Chris

Thanks for advise - yes it is ex Belgium and yes it has been stood for a long time. Not sure what i will find under the water - is it a good idea to drill a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the hull to drain out water or will that spoil the project?

Going to try and get engine later???

Not sure how gearbox is removed - probably have to take drive sprokets off?

:nut:

Thanks for advise - yes it is ex Belgium and yes it has been stood for a long time. Not sure what i will find under the water - is it a good idea to drill a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the hull to drain out water or will that spoil the project?

Going to try and get engine later???

Not sure how gearbox is removed - probably have to take drive sprokets off?

:nut:

Bruce,

Yes - drill holes. We've done it on at least 5 vehicles, the Spartan came already drilled from the MoD. Expect to find some corrosion under the water, but hopefully it should clean up.

The gearbox is removed by disconnecting the quill shafts which take the drive to the final drives. Remove the top hat covers from the middle of the sprockets, with the shafts in the correct orientation from inside the gearbox bay you should see a small plunger. Push this in and pull the shaft out from the outside to disconnect it.

Nigel has done a how to guide on this here:

http://afvsociety.co.uk/Forum3/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=866

I hope this helps!

Chris

Hi Vince - i'm based in Shropshire near Craven Arms. Had a good go at it today - just got to split the PTO drive then lift out engine - i can not turn the flywheel as engine probably siezed -it looks a bit tricky to get at the bottom bolts out on the PTO?

May have another go later tonight?

Easy to get the bolts out, there are only 3 that hold the drive shaft to the gearbox. A ring spanner or ratchet will do the trick. No nuts to worry about either. You can then shorten the drive shaft (it's a variable-length-slidey-type-thing), take the other end off and then lift it out.

Should only take about an hour to get the gearbox out, our record is 40 minutes including stripping the decks and front bulkhead out!

Shame I live near Gatwick or I would come give you a hand!

Vince - Being a Belgian one, I suspect it has the older style drive shaft with UJs at the end, so a bit more difficult.

Bruce - post a photo and I'll ID it for you. If you have the earlier one, I suggest replacing it with the later British one. Marcus Glenn did have some mod kits. Join the AFV Society forum, but I don't know anyone who's paid to join the club. Plenty of help and advice on here.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

A little bit of progress - I took the fuel bag once I had pumped it out and mopped out the liquid - the leaded 4 star fuel still has plenty of kick too, as I found out lighting a bonfire!! A bit more painting has been done - and slowly putting it back together. Need more time and motivation though!

Excellent news glad youre still going at it..

Sirhc and I were looking at Andy B's diesel Scorpion (yes you heard right!) yesterday, which he completed in two weeks from a bare hull in a field....BUT he started with a diesel Scimitar hull so probably a bit easier.

Cheers

Timbo

I saw it last week without the top decks on - sounds great. I'm afraid it's a case of tortoise and hare with me (and I'm not the Hare), and I'm not 100% sure if should attempt to Diesel it - the levelling up job sounds a nightmare to attempt without knowing exactly how to do it.

Bruce,

Starting with a petrol hull there is a lot of work to get it to the correct configuration for the diesel. How are you going to cut the holes in the hull and modify all the bulkheads?

Chris