WW1 uniform

Try the RLC museum, or this lot http://10thessex.weebly.com/ Problem with the 10th, you'll end up with a lot of hitch hickers! Mostly though the dress was kakhi boiler suits with leather belts. NOTE: Drivers in the British Army were allowed RUBBER soled boots, no studs.

RASC uniforms wa the same as cavalary at the time, due to them having a lot of horse drawn .

Anyone have any pictures of WW1 uniforms for transport drivers?

Seemingly I have a great war Foden 5 tonner to drive in April, its in WD livery so I thought it would be good for the craik to dress up and grow a handlebar moustache for the occasion, though the wife doesn't think much of the last part.

Oh good stuff. Which event is it going to?

Tim

Its going to the Riverside rally in Southport under new ownership. 16-17 April.

There was a rather nice Crossley there last year ;), also out Marshall.

Its currenty having some TLC in a shed in Banks. It may even be in steam tommorrow.

Hob nail boots are no good on a steamer, the manstand and steps ect are all steel plate, studded boots would soon have you in hospital with a broken leg!

Richard, what a fabulous photo that lower one is!. I take it that the uniform would be Khaki?

The wagons in the top photo are by Clayton & Shuttleworth.

Hi,

is the chap on the right wearing leather trousers ? and the two on the left are wearing a much lighter in colour than the right hand chap.

Question........ like the german army of WW2 did thier WW1 counterparts have an off white fatigue/work uniform ??

Ashley

Its going to the Riverside rally in Southport under new ownership. 16-17 April.

There was a rather nice Crossley there last year ;), also out Marshall.

Its currenty having some TLC in a shed in Banks. It may even be in steam tommorrow.

Hob nail boots are no good on a steamer, the manstand and steps ect are all steel plate, studded boots would soon have you in hospital with a broken leg!

Richard, what a fabulous photo that lower one is!. I take it that the uniform would be Khaki?

The wagons in the top photo are by Clayton & Shuttleworth.

Tim! Paintwork? Have you seen the conditions the vehicles worked in? :shocked: The boot soles throwback to the cavalary side.You DON'T wont studs on the soles of riding boots, though Horse shoe shaped irons were fitted to the heel. These are fitted into the side and are flush at the bottom. Spurs of course either Prussian pattern which strap on, or BOX pattern, these have a centre pin that fits into a hole on the heel, but normally only for parade.

Rule ONE: When wearing spurs, GO DOWN STEPS SIDEWAYS!!! A friend on mine when he got married in full uniform, despite our constant reminders, forgot this. He didn't like me pointing out that it was usual to go down on the knees to propose, not after the marriage. :-D

Ashley, not sure if the guy is wearing leather kit,BUT, if he is the stocker on the crew they were issued with an asbestos suit. This was health and saftey! The old boilers can blow back and heat and spitting from the firebox, if your not using good WELSH Steam coal! :D

B-C

Richard's two photos show it all. The men in Service Dress in the top photo have breeches rather than s/d trousers which allows them to wear the spring front leggings you can see, or puttees as an alternative.

The three men in the lower picture in are in two types of working dress. The two on the left appear to be wearing khaki drill overall suits. Artificers did wear canvas suits which were off-white but these only had two patch pockets in the jacket skirt, not buttoned breast pockets as in the picture. The man in the darker kit is wearing a dungaree suit (dungaree referring to the dark blue material, not the style). The official terminology for both these types of suit describes the jackets as "frocks". I am pretty sure that the trousers on the right are just very greasy and not oilskin or leather which would'nt fit with any issue of the period. Army Council Instructions refer to the issue of both of these types of kit in June 1916.

Mike

Edited by Mike_H