MTLB is home at last..

I at last have the MTLB home she needs a fair bit of work but she runs stops, steers and looks pretty enough...now just need to get some electrics working, some sensors working and give her a good service, oil change, water clearout and change, gearbox oils changed belts adjusted, brakes are way too powerful so no need to do anything there...

thinking of fitting a turret to the old girl...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of the SA-13 (especially that vehicle variant, the 9A35 - the 9A34 has a passive radiolocating system with a load of antennas sticking out into the driver's view!) but the inside is quite different from a standard MTLB. If you're just out for looks it's hard to beat though. That's a very tidy one, whose is it? (tons of pics and info here btw)

MTLBs are great because the tracks already have holes punched in them to take track pad inserts. Paul, have you still got your front fenders with the headlights etc? Those indicators will come in useful if you ever fancy trying to road-register it :cool2:

Stone

I'm a huge fan of the SA-13 (especially that vehicle variant, the 9A35 - the 9A34 has a passive radiolocating system with a load of antennas sticking out into the driver's view!) but the inside is quite different from a standard MTLB. If you're just out for looks it's hard to beat though. That's a very tidy one, whose is it? (tons of pics and info here btw)

MTLBs are great because the tracks already have holes punched in them to take track pad inserts. Paul, have you still got your front fenders with the headlights etc? Those indicators will come in useful if you ever fancy trying to road-register it :cool2:

Stone

Gonna run into the same jobsworths I did if you try to register it - according to the tech specs it is 2.86m wide...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, it was in Poland. I was driving instructor in Military Vehicle Academy of Defence (can't think of any other translation :)

BTW. At this moment there is a MTLB for sale on Polish Ebay. About 400 miles on the clock...

I used to drive one of those in the army. Not as nice as BMP. No synchromesh, steering bars rather then stick, but nice, big cockpit.

Ah - a man after my own heart!! Of the tracked thingies I've played with over the years the OT-90/BMP is the most fun!! :-D :-D

• 3 weeks later...

I was also a driving instructor on BMP. It was great fun for a regular national service soldier being able to smack across the head a officer cadett, who already had stars on his shoulders!

BMP (BWP in Polish Army) is fantastic to drive. With it's toruqe I was able (but not allowed) to spin the tracks on the concrete surface! The engine... piece of art in those days...

I was also a driving instructor on BMP. It was great fun for a regular national service soldier being able to smack across the head a officer cadett, who already had stars on his shoulders!

BMP (BWP in Polish Army) is fantastic to drive. With it's toruqe I was able (but not allowed) to spin the tracks on the concrete surface! The engine... piece of art in those days...

It still is !!!

The engine bay of my OT-90 puts it's NATO equivalents to shame.....

The wife says she knows when I've just got back from taking it around the arena at shows 'cos of the mega grin plastered all over my face...

As driving instructor - were/are you also familiar with the R-123 radio set??? The one in mine appears to be working in that the R-123 all powers up but we can't send or receive; is there anything else we need to have switched on apart from the intercom switch in the R-123 position

Edited by ArtistsRifles

I was only doing machanics, never deal with radios and armoury. It's the way that Polish army was organised.

OK - it was worth asking - just in case! :-D

If you ever come across a former signaller/radio tech could you point him my way please. Radio appears to be functioning but we can't hear anyone and they cannot hear us so obviously something is set wrong. Be nice to find out where we've screwed up!!