Chieftain at work pictures

cliffw

Hi All,

I've posted a few pictures of my company car (back in the 80's) before I got my shiny new Challenger in '84.The regiment was fully equipped by late 85.

I thought they may be useful to those who show their Chieftains and want the "lived in" look. if you need more or some housekeeping tricks and tips please let me know.

Hope you enjoy.

By the way I believe 00FC20 was broken up on her last visit to base workshops. Her name was HOSTILE and we were 1 troop Huntsman 2RTR (the others in my troop were Hotblack and Hotspur). We got Challengers in 84 most of which were originally sand colour and destined for the Shah of Iran (until the crazy K took over). We had to paint the first few but the rest arrived with IRR black and green pelts. Most were also complete with TOGS but had immediate upgrades of FCCS when they arrived.

Link to album http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/album.php?albumid=415

Edited by Marmite!!
link added

Hi Cliffw,

Welcome to the forum! I seem to have lost the plot though,...I don't find your pics! Being a Saracen affectionado, I was hoping to find some pics..... Please???

That caught me out, too. I love the umbrella pic!

Andy

00FC20 was a MK9 and because we were equipped with Challenger I they were never upgraded, just sent to ranges as hards or sold off. I tried to trace 0FC20 to see where she ended up and the trail went cold. I think she ended up at base workshops to be broken up.

I have more Chieftain pics and recce pics I will eventually scan and upload. Even some with yours truly in...

That caught me out, too. I love the umbrella pic!

Andy

Most crews had a fishing umbrella. We planted them in the range flag holder between the cmdrs cupola and loader's hatch. Slightly cut down shaft to the umbrella meant that it could be stowed across the turret bustle crossways. I've got some of the rear deck bivvy somewhere too - elevate gun, shovel wedged into the mantlet end, tank sheet tied to fume extractor on barrel and shovel handle, sheet sides tied to resilient rail and rear bins - voila! a tent with heating... and diesel stench, carbon stains, handle poking into your back .... etc etc

Our way of sleeping on the back decks were......Barrel fully elevated.Don 10 from the barrel pull back anchor point above the mantlet to end of the barrel.Tank sheet over the top tied at the bottoms to the tool bins.As i was the driver .....roll out the green maggot on the gearbox decking.Open a yellow handbag and relax.