United nations parade: Cairo egypt, 06/14/1943

gazzaw

Chaps

Excellent colour footage of the UN parade in Cairo 1943- good spread of troops, vehicles and artillery pieces etc -some in cammo scheme

http://www.archive.org/details/gov.archives.arc.3069

Look out for the Portee'd guns on the flat trucks early on film and near the end the armoured cars with the skull and crossbones on the front

Gary

Edited by gazzaw

Surely the United Nations was a post war organisation? If founded in 1945 how did they time travel back to 1943???(I haven't watched the Vid, which was an interminable time to load and I got fed up waiting.)...maybe there is an answer to my question in the vid but from your title something is wrong, surely. The precursor of United Nations during WW2 was the League of Nations......

Edited by antarmike

gazzaw

Very good.:cheesy: lots of interesting stuff one thing I've not seen before at (2.45 to 3.10) is a 6pdr truck similar to the famous Deacon with a fairly early model 6pdr in a shield and a full width armoured cab probably on a Ford maybe a F60 but could bd was based on a Ford WOT either way the type shown is different from a Deacon which had a half armoured cab and a Matador truck as the basis.

The term united nations was coined by FDR and Churchill to denote the allies and appears in numerous speeches by both from the North Atlantic meeting onwards and in comptemorary newsreels and reports.

Yes it was probably the League of Nations but whoever archived it and put up the title (for search etc) has put UN. Again as steveo578 rightly says UN was referred to etc but wasn't the formal organisation as it became post-war

Edited by gazzaw

gazzaw

Yes it was probably the League of Nations but whoever archived it and put up the title (for search etc) has put UN.

The League of Nations was a formal organisation for world security as an outcome of the Treaty of Versailles 1919 it was formally wound up in feb 1945.

Although thought up by the US president Woodrow Wilson (got the nobel peace prise for it) the US and the Soviet Union were not members -therefore the term League of Nations was not contemplated as a name or terminology for the allies- The term United Nations forces against the axis was termed -probably where the term axis of evil was also coined -and has been used by subsequent Presidents of the USA.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
correction USSR joined but left over finland

at the end of the day does it change the film or parade any? Does anyone lose sleep over it? it was a pile of Allied countries getting together and marching and flag waving for the locals, handing out medals and sticking 2 fingers up to the axis powers etc

Niels v

Morris Commercial CS11/30F

The Portee 6pdr gun carriers mentioned easlier are Bedford QL not ford v interesting though surprising variaty of Marmon Herringtons AC and Crusaders incuding Mk1:D. Interesting in that very few guns have sights or even bores covered.

Good Stuff

Steve

gazzaw

at the end of the day does it change the film or parade any

Never said it did, I made a statement to correct post#2 -It was not my intention to start a flaming argument -so take the point for what it is -as they say to small children "say thank you -your welcome" :)

otherwise I might as well not bothering posting in future.:mad:

Steve

Never said it did, I made a statement to correct post#2 -It was not my intention to start a flaming argument -so take the point for what it is -as they say to small children "say thank you -your welcome" :)

Steve

HeHe, Lighten up and take a chill pill, wasn't pointing at anyone - just that to take the film for what it is - not a discussion on the international treaties for the allies in 43, yes you were correct in ALL you said but it doesn't change the price of fish. Next thing there will be someone posting here saying that the heirarchy of the flags of the nations were wrong because such and such had more soldiers than another. The film was there for vehicle enthusiasts to look at NOT to start WW3 -of which we will probably get another film made lol

Gary

Looks like an early contract (there were only two!) WOT8 30cwt conversion.

shorter wheelbase & overall length.

early as has the initial pattern vents in the cab front by the crew's feet - rotating and flush round caravan type rather than the WOT6 and later WOT8 shielded horizontal 'letter boxes'.

very interesting..

Excellent stuff guys! it is amazing all of the information from you knowledgeable chaps that can be given from a little film. If only some of the rarer ones were still about -probably sitting in a scrap yard in the desert now. And to see the difference from the Pathe one in black and white - the colour makes it come to life

Right matey

As I've said before I don't want to comment on your posts in future and as you like legal related matters to quote from the 1970s U.S legal drama - The Paper Chase,

"Mr **** here is a shroud as far as I am concerned you don't exist"

Steve

Steve

Make up your mind!

To help ease tensions, from the UN website http://www.un.org/aboutun/unhistory/

The name "United Nations", coined by United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt, was first used in the "Declaration by United Nations" of 1 January 1942, during the Second World War, when representatives of 26 nations pledged their governments to continue fighting together against the Axis Powers.

The two films are dated 14 June 1943; and "issued" 8 July 1943. Judging by the vehicles on parade, I don't think there can be much doubt about when this event took place.

I really like the Chevrolet C60 and Bedford QL portees, as any of those survived

Yes! A Bedford exists, albeit with a GS body - I attach a picture of it from many years ago. (Looking again, the style of wheel arches suggest this may be a genuine portee body.)

There is also an Austin K5 Portee in preservation - see http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21655 and Military Machines International magazine, December 2010.

Does anyone have an opinion on the vehicle colour schemes? The quads (CMP & Guy) are clearly "desert sand". But I can't make out whether some of the others are olive drab and dark green/black, or desert sand and black - the film is too washed out for my eyes.

Interesting to see the Morris Commercial CDSWs have RAF roundals on their bonnets.

IMG.jpg

Edited by Runflat
Bedford body

Some very rare vehicles in the parade.

At 4:51 there is a Ford E01A car. Made in the US and shipped to Britain, modified for the British Government (900x13 tyres). I don't know of any in preservation.

At 5:03 there are some Ford R01T Ambulances. I don't know of any in preservation, but there is a van version around.

At 5:20 there are some Morris Ambulances. I know of only one surviving.

At 5:42 is a Ford WOT8 Fire Engine. I've never seen a photo of one of these before.

Very interesting film. Many thanks for finding it and posting the link.

There are other films on that same site- reports from a friend mentions the film D Day-Beach to Berlin etc but not seen them myself yet.

Could spend hours searching on the archives of this site, there are even spreadsheets about GMC production, powerpoints on D Day etc

gary