sat 4th june/ sun 5th june fritton lake norfolk

2 para

Fritton Lake in Norfolk Celebrates D Day The lake was used to train personnel to operate the Duplex Drive Amphibious Tanks used in the first wave of assualts on the beaches. It is planned to have a display of WW2 military and light tracked vehicles, re-enactors, stalls and stands, as well as brass band, slide talks, guided walks and boat trips. We are keen at this stage to hear from anyone interested to display (vehicles / stands / amphibious vehicles / living history). Fritton Lake is a tourist attraction with a play area, rowing boats, horse riding, hotel, lodges and camping.

01493 488288

E Mail Web Site

Fritton Lake in Norfolk Celebrates D Day The lake was used to train personnel to operate the Duplex Drive Amphibious Tanks used in the first wave of assualts on the beaches. It is planned to have a display of WW2 military and light tracked vehicles, re-enactors, stalls and stands, as well as brass band, slide talks, guided walks and boat trips. We are keen at this stage to hear from anyone interested to display (vehicles / stands / amphibious vehicles / living history). Fritton Lake is a tourist attraction with a play area, rowing boats, horse riding, hotel, lodges and camping.

01493 488288

E Mail Web Site

I am going with my Valentine IXDD if the transport can be soirted. I will be taking it home in a sense........

fritton lake is such a fantastic place to visit and the secrets of the lake of which there are many are now starting to come to light.

during the war a figure of around 2000 men(not all at once) trained and lived in secret at fritton in the woods and bravely tested the dd valentines and shermans of which were later to be used in battle. i know there will be a talk given on this subject along with all the new top secret pictures and information that stuart has been gathering recently.

also during the war there was a mid air collision involving two thunderbolts which both landed in the lake and also a 100th bg b17 crashed just behind.

there will be a presentation on these accidents by local author and historian ian maclachlan.

the military history associated with fritton lake is amazing and alot of the footprints and clues can still be found. the nice thing about this event is it will also include access to the old site of the secret training area of which other wise would be private.

if enough people make the effort to go to this first event im sure it will be a good one, i know that it would be especially nice if the owners of dukws and other amphibious vehicles were to attend, the lake itself is 2+ miles long and over 200 acres tree lined and beautiful.

maybe also john will swim the valentine for us all to watch!!!!:D i remember from before it made it to the waters edge. but we took the plunge in the hagglunds.

fritton lake is such a fantastic place to visit and the secrets of the lake of which there are many are now starting to come to light.

during the war a figure of around 2000 men(not all at once) trained and lived in secret at fritton in the woods and bravely tested the dd valentines and shermans of which were later to be used in battle. i know there will be a talk given on this subject along with all the new top secret pictures and information that stuart has been gathering recently.

also during the war there was a mid air collision involving two thunderbolts which both landed in the lake and also a 100th bg b17 crashed just behind.

there will be a presentation on these accidents by local author and historian ian maclachlan.

the military history associated with fritton lake is amazing and alot of the footprints and clues can still be found. the nice thing about this event is it will also include access to the old site of the secret training area of which other wise would be private.

if enough people make the effort to go to this first event im sure it will be a good one, i know that it would be especially nice if the owners of dukws and other amphibious vehicles were to attend, the lake itself is 2+ miles long and over 200 acres tree lined and beautiful.

maybe also john will swim the valentine for us all to watch!!!!:D i remember from before it made it to the waters edge. but we took the plunge in the hagglunds.

I brought this event up at the Suffolk MVT Meeting last night after a request for help from the organiser (Stuart I think his name was) and it created much interest.

Before turning in last night, i had to go and get my old Ian Mac book out detailing the full story of the Thunderbolt mid air collision and refresh my memory. Sounds like another great event and right on home turf!

You have got to be joking!!!! Water into wheelbearings?? OK if King George is paying but if it is down to me, I can't afford it! I will bring my air compressor though so you can see the screen go up and down.

I had a go in one of the Hagglunds on the lake but my camera was duff so I got no pictures. Do you have any of that trip I could have?

One of the good bits of that trip in 2004 was a local old codger (but somehow not quite old enough.....?) who came up quietly and asked if my tank was real? Yes, I says. Well says he, you have put my mind at rest after 60 years. It seems he was about 12 years old in 1944 and jumped the fence to see what was going on. He saw four tanks drive past (he was hidden in a bush) and go straight into the water and float away. He never told anyone because he was sure no one would believe him more than fear about admitting he had broken in. Over the years he had convinced himself he must have been doolally because tanks don't float so the relief in his voice when he found out he was sane and his memory was correct was very obvious.

I had a go in one of the Hagglunds on the lake but my camera was duff so I got no pictures. Do you have any of that trip I could have?

john i have just spent the last hour going through old discs but i cannot find any pics,sorry.

hopefully we will get a chance for more this summer.

Edited by jimmy harleston eng
spelling mistake

john i have just spent the last hour going through old discs but i cannot find any pics,sorry.

hopefully we will get a chance for more this summer.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...

I'm certainly hoping to come along with the GMC or Chrysler.

I did e-mail Stuart after he asked me to make contact and requested some support from the Suffolk Group, but I haven't heard anything.

Time is marching on and people are looking for firmer details.

• 1 month later...

not long till this show, hopefully with the weather we have been having it looks like this could be a great family weekend. check the site www.somerleyton.co.uk for the details.

anyone wishing to attend, i have a copy of the booking in form to give out. let me have your emails and i will pass it on.

jimmy.

amphibious vehicles especially welcome and most wanted please

• 5 weeks later...

See you there Jimmy - taking the Replica Schwimmwagen, hope to take the plunge on a maiden voyage.................bring your video, you may make a couple hundred quid from that 'You been framed' outfit on the TV.......

Regards, Mark.

P.S. If the weather is fine, I'm camping - SAS style...........Stella and Sausage.

See you there Jimmy - taking the Replica Schwimmwagen, hope to take the plunge on a maiden voyage.................bring your video, you may make a couple hundred quid from that 'You been framed' outfit on the TV.......

Regards, Mark.

P.S. If the weather is fine, I'm camping - SAS style...........Stella and Sausage.

nice one mark,

glad you are coming. am already looking forward to seeing it in (on) the water. see you next weekend.

jimmy..

late entries will still be welcome, please contact stuart @ somerleyton for details.