Lancaster Crash

Tony Graves

Hi, can anybody out there help with some information? I have recently found remains of what we believe is a Lancaster Bomber on a marsh about two miles north of Carentan in Normandy, France.The remans of a tyre and a lot of air ministry radio eqipment lead us to think this could be a Lanc. The outside diameter of the tyre is exact for a Lanc. We have a very small window for the date of the crash which is between 6th to the morning of the 9th June 1944. Records here in France are very scant and because of the hectic period of that time also witnesses are few and far between now. We have also recovered some parachutes, two dinghies and half a Merlin engine. Any information would be gratefully recieved. Perhaps it would be better if you could email me on lefournet@wanadoo.fr

Tony Graves

Tony,

It's probably best to contact the RAF Museum with your question. As you mention you have found parachutes there is the possibility the site could also contain remains of the crew so I would talk to the staff at the JCCC Historic Casework section at RAF Innsworth and the Air Attache at the British Embassy in Paris.

Matt.

hi matt. i have already contacted innsworth, but as usual with them they will not give any information without 100% proof of identification, there is not a great deal of wreckage there considering the size of the lanc and we know it was very low when it crashed, thanks very much matt for your prompt reply, all the best tony g.

Have a look here:

http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/alliedlosses/alliedlosses1944.html

There are 4 Lancasters listed between 6 and 9 June.

2 of those were Lancaster !! which had the Hercules radial so if he has remains of a Merlin it would rule those out.

Mind you locations given do not seem to tie in with your location.

MIke

Hi Tony. Good to speak to you at long last, I have looked at other websites for more info on Lancaster LL 783, as this I recon is the nearest one to the one you found, but no mention of a DFM, sorry, Can you dig up some trees and see whats underneath, or get the metal detector out & have a look see, see if you can get any more info or numbers from the Merlin engine.

hi dizzy, thanks for your interest, i have checked the crash site of ll783 and it crashed at auvers which is the other side of carentan and a fair way from our site, the date is close and at the moment checking luftwaffe night fighter reports, thanks again dizzy, all the best tony g.

hi dizzy, thanks for your interest, i have checked the crash site of ll783 and it crashed at auvers which is the other side of carentan and a fair way from our site, the date is close and at the moment checking luftwaffe night fighter reports, thanks again dizzy, all the best tony g.

Hi Tony. Have just rejoined Luftwaffe and Allied Airforces Discussion Forum, are you on this one? if so whats your name?. If you would like me to do any more research, please let me know as I am enjoying the experience, also knowing an fellow researcher helps.

Dick :saluting::drive:

Well I thought I had.

Edited by dizzy-t

Tony,

Some marks of Halifax had Merlin engines (for example the one in the RAFM at Hendon.)

Pictures of any of the wreckage would help. You say you found remains of a tyre... if there was any undercarraige remains attached to it that would quickly identify whether it was a Lanc or a Halifax.

The reason I ask, is the Halifax had two dinghy stowages on the wing, the Lanc had one. Not much to go on, but maybe a pointer for the aircraft type?

Regards,

Rich

hi rich, thanks for yor interest , we have found two dinghies, one two man and a one man, i would have thought that with a crew of seven or eight men there would be provision of at least three dinghies. we have narrowed the search down to two mk 3 lancs and have proof they had packard merlins, we are hoping to go back to site with a bigger digger so watch this space, thanks again, tony g.