Question WD clothing sizes

Centurion

I may be stupid but. I am looking to buy a 1944 DR overcoat the rubbery? canvas thing. The site that is selling them has them marked in the sizes that are on the original labels. The biggest they have is size 10. How does this equate to chest size etc in good British inches.

Looking forward to good advice,

REgards

Centurion

I may be stupid but. I am looking to buy a 1944 DR overcoat the rubbery? canvas thing. The site that is selling them has them marked in the sizes that are on the original labels. The biggest they have is size 10. How does this equate to chest size etc in good British inches.

Looking forward to good advice,

REgards

Centurion

Hello

Usually with British clothing of WW2 the higher the number the larger the item, i have a large collection of British battle dress, and i know this is true for BD.

Sometimes the stated size doesnt necessarily mean it will fit:nut: i have 2 blouses that both fit me, one is size 10 the other size 13.

The only real way is to try it on, or get the owner to measure it for you.

Dont forget items that go over the uniform are usually bigger than the stated size, such as denims, jerkins, smocks etc :nut:

Confused yet?

Colin

Hello

Usually with British clothing of WW2 the higher the number the larger the item, i have a large collection of British battle dress, and i know this is true for BD.

Sometimes the stated size doesnt necessarily mean it will fit:nut: i have 2 blouses that both fit me, one is size 10 the other size 13.

The only real way is to try it on, or get the owner to measure it for you.

Dont forget items that go over the uniform are usually bigger than the stated size, such as denims, jerkins, smocks etc :nut:

Confused yet?

Colin

I believe this is correct.

On British Battledress the size should go in 3's (small medium large). Therefore size 10 and size 13 are for the same chest/waist but different heights.

I agree about denims and smocks as these should be worn over a battledress and the size compensates for this. The denim battledress was meant as a working overall to keep your serge battledress clean.

Dont forget that folks were somwhat different in basic size and build in those days and yor waist was deffinatley in a different place to that we consider today is normal :-D

todo with healthier eating i am told.........or the fact we can actually afford food nawadays in most cases.

I always wait out and try before i buy.

regards

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the item is in Holland unless you know of the same thing for sale in the UK. The other difficulty I may have is as a result of 1950s school milk ETc I am 6 foot 5 and weigh about 16 stone. I suspect my quest my be al ong one if not downright impossible. But I will keep on trying.

cheers

Centurion

Hi mate,

Size 10 in Battledress BLOUSE is

waist 31-32

breast 36-37

height 5'9-5'10

measurments are in feet/inches

as has already been said, overgarments are usually 'sized up' but to be safe, I'd always go for trying before buying; Is the seller maybe's coming over to w&p ??

All the best, and good luck in your quest.

Andy