Saladin 30 cal mount

RecyMech

Evening all.....

I'm now in the last couple of days (at last) of prepping the 1/24th model Saladin kit parts & etch bits ready to go off for production & have come across a small problem that only the collective brain of HMVF can assist with.

The jobby in question is the commanders .30 cal MG mounting. I've got pics of the mounting 'point' on top of the episcope guard & pics of the hinged 'gun stowed' bracket that hangs down the side of the turret......but just realised I've got nowt of the gun mount itself or the ammo tray.:embarrassed:

Would any of you kind gents have the relative photo shot or hand book piccy I need ?

(I'll bet Clive is reaching for the relevant document as we speak. :D)

Any help, as always, most gratefully received.

Toodle pip.

Howard

PS, Is it true HMVF stands for Her Majesties Vehicle Fanatics ? :D:D

Good one Bob many thanks. That'll get me started at least, I can get the general arrangement from that ok & a feel for the height of the pivot etc.

I'll let you off with the 7.62 ammo box in the tray:cool2::cool2:(sarge these bullets are a loose fit):rofl:

Anything anyone else has, other angles, manual drawings, etc etc still very much appreciated.

Mercee bunkup as they say in French France.

H

I just learned something that I did`nt previously know. As a result I feel a bit red faced :blush: about my comment regarding the 7.62 ammo box hanging on the side of Bobs .30 cal browning.

The previously unknown fact is that the .30 was re chambered to accept NATO 7.62mm...something that had totally passed me by I'm afraid.

I'd assumed (wrongly as usual) that the 7.62 box was there because .30 cal boxes were somewhat rare. You learn something new every day I suppose.

Apologises Bob !

Howard.

The 30-06 round used in the 30 cal is longer than the 7.62 round, the ammo boxes for 30 cal are wider to accept the longer round. All my saladin boxes are labelled as 7.62 but are actually 30 cal boxes with an insert inside to reduce the width to that of the 7.62 round. Not sure where I got the boxes but they were like new. I guess there must have been a lot of 30 cal boxes in store. My roof mounted 30 cal was converted to 7.62, although the belt of ammo I use is 30-06. Its good to be confusing!

The gentleman I purchased the Saladin from imported vehicles into the USA and had many containers of bits pass his way. It appears he saved the best and most desirable pieces for his own vehicles and he was a stickler for detail. Well, at least he did well for someone on this side of the pond. I would have been surprised if the ammo boxes he mounted were incorrect. I do not remember them being loose in the supports, so I will check for internal spacers. Thank You for the education. I did not realize they had converted to 7.62 during their service life. But then again there is an awful lot I do not know yet.

Regards,

Bob

• 2 months later...
Evening all.....

I'm now in the last couple of days (at last) of prepping the 1/24th model Saladin kit parts & etch bits ready to go off for production & have come across a small problem that only the collective brain of HMVF can assist with.

The jobby in question is the commanders .30 cal MG mounting. I've got pics of the mounting 'point' on top of the episcope guard & pics of the hinged 'gun stowed' bracket that hangs down the side of the turret......but just realised I've got nowt of the gun mount itself or the ammo tray.:embarrassed:

Would any of you kind gents have the relative photo shot or hand book piccy I need ?

(I'll bet Clive is reaching for the relevant document as we speak. :D)

Any help, as always, most gratefully received.

Toodle pip.

Howard

PS, Is it true HMVF stands for Her Majesties Vehicle Fanatics ? :D:D

Here is one in action in Aden 64/65 if you need more pm me and I will have a look you might find more on my website

http://www.xrhgb.com

Peter

aden10.jpg

Edited by pete-xrh

The previously unknown fact is that the .30 was re chambered to accept NATO 7.62mm...

... but we were still firing Three Oh from our Three Ohs on our Command Troop Ferrets and Saracens as late as 1982.

Not that I doubt that the Three Oh was rechambered for 7.62, you understand. In fact I did know. Just we didn't get them during my time.

Only a week to go now & I pick up the sample castings of the 1/24th Saladin from the casters. Thens it's a good two week slog to test build the kit(s) & prep the instructions sets.

Nearly there now. Will let everyone see the results in due course:cool2::cool2::cool2:

H