Ferret

Ken Wales

Hi

Born in UK emigrated to Australia in 1996.

Whilst in the UK I owned a Jeep with a Hotchkiss body and then bought a Ferret 1/2 01EA40 which I sold at a Christies? auction in 1996 at Hendon Aircraft museum. The auctioneer actually made a joke "Ideal holiday vehicle for Northern Ireland". The Ferret sold for a good sum for the time but was in excellent condition. I think it was a Frenchman who bought it and I was slightly amused as he was wearing white trousers and was going to drive the Ferret in them. Does anyone know current location of this Ferret?

Arrived in Australia and purchased my second Jeep which had matching engine and chassis numbers. Sold that one and moved to Queensland where I purchased another jeep with a Philippine body and had been converted to right hand drive. I had an idea I might drive it on the beach but it was far too good for that. So it became a daily runner. I am thinking of selling it as I now have bought a Ferret 2/3 from the U.K.

Daimler Ferret Scout Car Recce MK 2/3

Contract Number 6/FV/19260 (140 Ferret's in this contract Registered 03CC00-04CC40)

Built September 1959

VIN 2125.9.59

Engine number 20608

Asset code A 03 0130 4231 subsequently amended to A 03 0135 4001 in 1983 when in repair

Registered 03CC17

EIN 1HB08 subsequently amended to 1HB24

UIN AO363A

Oct-59

Delivered to

30 Fld Sqn Re BAOR

6-Dec-71

17BVD BAOR

23-Jan-78

25 FD Reg RA BAOR

22-Aug-83

Planned repair

34 Cent Wkshp

VD Ludgershall

QDG 19 Inf

10-Jun-85

Ludgershall

21-Oct-85

The Lifeguards

17-Dec-85

Ludgershall

9-Apr-86

QDG 19 Inf

25-Jun-86

Ludgershall

1-May-87

9/12 L

30-Jun-87

Ludgershall

18-Feb-88

9/12L

7-Apr-88

Ludgershall

13-Nov-88

LG

19-Dec-88

Ludgershall

6-Jun-89

CU HQ Re

26-Jan-94

Ludgershall

MOD Auction (date unknown) Lot number 267 with guide price GBP 4,500.

I know I am being ignorant but what is EIN and UIN on record card?

Does anyone have any old photos around of this Ferret?

I am looking for the large side bin (the side opposite the spare wheel) and I have been promised some Aerials from a Fox owner (many thanks to him).

I am retired from my Insurance career and now work casually as a Flying Instructor.

I also own an Auster J5B and three Lambrettas (GT200, Pacemaker, and GP200).

Ferret.jpg

UIN is Unit Imprest Number. This number indicated the number of the Imprest Account

Most apposite definition I can can find online is from Webster's:

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definitions/Imprest?cx=partner-pub-0939450753529744%3Av0qd01-tdlq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Imprest&sa=Search#922

Imprest fund Military (DOD) A cash fund of a fixed amount established through an advance of funds, without appropriation change, to an authorized imprest fund cashier to effect immediate cash payments of relatively small amounts for authorized purchases of supplies and nonpersonal services.

Every unit has (I am writing from 1970s - 1980s experience, which is appropriate to this thread but may not remain current - for example the Unit Pay Office has gone) an Imprest Account which the Unit Pay Office use to handle routine cash transactions such as Aquittance Roll payments for soldiers who get paid cash in hand; petrol coupons (when we got our petrol duty free in BAOR by buying petrol in 10-litre multiples using coupons bought from the Pay Office); etc.

The Unit Imprest Number uniquely identified each unit. UINs beginning and ending AnnnnA were permanent units (the A suffix) in the Army (the A prefix). For example, 15th/19th The Kings Royal Hussars were, if memory serves after 30 years A0124A. I have a funny feeling that when squadrons were detached for example to UNFICYP in Nicosia, the suffix changed because this was not a permanent unit. But I was a simple Ferret driver in those days and all I cared about on my pay statement was how many beer tokens went into the bank.

If you go back and recheck your document, I'd expect to find that 9/12L's UIN would be just a couple of digits before 15/19H, since UINs tended to group logically by arm or corps.

12 Armoured Workshop REME was A1112A. I think 7 Armd Wksp was A1107A.

The term is often, nay invariably, defined as Unit Identity Number and in fact common usage has probably by now made this the official definition in the same way that DPM is officially Disruptive Pattern Material, even though DPM as most of us know it is actually a dispersed pattern material.

Edited by AlienFTM
typos

Many thanks for information.

Ken

UIN is Unit Imprest Number. This number indicated the number of the Imprest Account

Most apposite definition I can can find online is from Webster's:

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definitions/Imprest?cx=partner-pub-0939450753529744%3Av0qd01-tdlq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Imprest&sa=Search#922

Imprest fund Military (DOD) A cash fund of a fixed amount established through an advance of funds, without appropriation change, to an authorized imprest fund cashier to effect immediate cash payments of relatively small amounts for authorized purchases of supplies and nonpersonal services.

Every unit has (I am writing from 1970s - 1980s experience, which is appropriate to this thread but may not remain current - for example the Unit Pay Office has gone) an Imprest Account which the Unit Pay Office use to handle routine cash transactions such as Aquittance Roll payments for soldiers who get paid cash in hand; petrol coupons (when we got our petrol duty free in BAOR by buying petrol in 10-litre multiples using coupons bought from the Pay Office); etc.

The Unit Imprest Number uniquely identified each unit. UINs beginning and ending AnnnnA were permanent units (the A suffix) in the Army (the A prefix). For example, 15th/19th The Kings Royal Hussars were, if memory serves after 30 years A0124A. I have a funny feeling that when squadrons were detached for example to UNFICYP in Nicosia, the suffix changed because this was not a permanent unit. But I was a simple Ferret driver in those days and all I cared about on my pay statement was how many beer tokens went into the bank.

If you go back and recheck your document, I'd expect to find that 9/12L's UIN would be just a couple of digits before 15/19H, since UINs tended to group logically by arm or corps.

12 Armoured Workshop REME was A1112A. I think 7 Armd Wksp was A1107A.

The term is often, nay invariably, defined as Unit Identity Number and in fact common usage has probably by now made this the official definition in the same way that DPM is officially Disruptive Pattern Material, even though DPM as most of us know it is actually a dispersed pattern material.