Looking for CCKW AC decal (lid and body)

deadline

Hi deadline,

thanks for your reply.

Some time ago i bought a cd copy of tm 10-1563 ( 15th november 1942 ) for the cckw

from e-bay , i believe the seller was from ohio.

In the lubrication section of the manual on page 25 , picture 38 shows half of the air filter decal on the air filter lid.

Picture 41 shows half of the ac decal on the side of the oil filter and most of the decal on the oil filter lid. Sadly although the pictures have been electronically cleaned, it is not possible to read the smaller writing. It does appear to give an idea of the appearance, shape and size of the decals. Hopefully you may be able to match the pictures to any existing decals you may have found.

I will keep a look out for anything that may be of use,

regards

steve.

I have both the Sept and Nov 42 Tm10-1563 and it does show the air filter decal, well, enough to get a good guess at it. Its also in the 43 TM9-801, but again, not clear enough to read it.

I do think I have found it. The civvy decal has different colors, but change the orange and white to orange, black and white, clean up the AC logo in each corner and you have a winner!

The details are at:

http://www.tm9-801.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=512

The decal is at:

http://www.classicpartsusa.com/product/1940_1946_Air_cleaner_decal_DE202_1943/1943_Truck_Parts_Decals

Most of the oil filter decal into is here:

http://www.tm9-801.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=488

The first round of proofs from the artist are also posted... couple of errors, should be an easy fix.

I have started an air cleaner thread also.

The last one is the deep sump oil pan warning decal. I have the text, but no images.

My plan is to have a section detailing the decals (a separate web page with all the pertinent data).

I can't thank the good folks on this site enough. Truly a helpful bunch of people.

Yes, I plan of a full sheet of decals to include:

Oil filter (lid and body) late oval style

Oil breather

Valve cover (octane and valve tappet)

Air Filter

HOPEFULLY - deep sump oil pan caution decal

There are only 3 colors total, and I already have quotes out for proper water slip decals (not laser printed).

A few things need to be arranged, but I'm hopeful that all can be agreed upon.

HI DEADLINE,

IN THE TECNICAL MANUAL SERIES NO.6015 , FOR CCKW 352 & 353 , PUBLISHED BY TANKOGRAD , ( http://www.tankograd.com ) THE AC DECALS ON THE LID AND BODY OF THE OIL FILTER ARE VERY CLEARLY SHOWN ON PAGES 21, 22 AND 24. AS A BONUS , THE LOCATION OF THE DECAL ON THE DEEP SUMP IS SHOWN ON PAGE 21ALTHOUGH IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO READ THE WORDS.

THE LANGUAGE IN THE BOOK IS A MIX OF MAINLY ENGLISH/GERMAN. THE QUALITY OF THE PICTURES USED IS VERY GOOD.

I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN BUYING A SET OF THE DECALS IF YOU GET ANY PRINTED.

HOPE THIS HELPS

STEVE.

i have that book.. very good reference indeed. The oil filter decals are all figured out. The 43 TM9 has an excellent shot of the body, but the lid is not clear in any reference I have... a good fellow on this board has an original(!) and sent me pictures.

I have all the pics and the artwork here http://www.tm9-801.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=488

The air cleaner is still a complete guess. I am 60% sure I have found the proper one, but until an air cleaner or picture shows up its still a 'best guess'.

I posted the text of the oil sump decal. Its a few posts back. The GM Service bulletin gives the exact text, and location, but no picture of what it looks like. Best I have seen is just a rectangle.

I may interpolate a decal from the oil breather decal and air filter decal, as they are both very similar. But hopes are that a picture of an original is lurking somewhere... just waiting to be found.

I will update this site, but the most up to date into is going to be in that link above.

They are a back burner item right now. Since they are relatively simple compared to the later oval style, I don't see any major hassles in adding them later on.

Some astute members on the TM9 forum have pointed out the the font is off (several letters are different) but short of commissioning the entire alphabet to be redone in the proper lettering we will have to stick with Arial as the font. Hint: the Arial font was designed in 1982 by Microsoft... so its not the original font used by AC in the 40's. ALL the repro AC decals use it.. its quite easy to spot when you know the 'key' letters and the differences.

I may modify the Arial fonts... will have to see how difficult it gets.

• 1 month later...

Hi Deadline,

I can't find your air cleaner thread so i've posted here, hope this helps'

Regards David.

Most of the oil filter decal into is here:

http://www.tm9-801.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=488

The first round of proofs from the artist are also posted... couple of errors, should be an easy fix.

I have started an air cleaner thread also.

The last one is the deep sump oil pan warning decal. I have the text, but no images.

My plan is to have a section detailing the decals (a separate web page with all the pertinent data).

I can't thank the good folks on this site enough. Truly a helpful bunch of people.

Gmc cckw air cleaner 001.jpg

Gmc cckw air cleaner 002.jpg

THANK YOU for the pics!

Do you have any info on what year/model that cleaner came off of?

I would like to confirm this as much as possible as your image does not match what is in the TM 10-1563 or the 43 TM9-801. The text is VERY CLOSE, and I would expect it to be an AC decal.

The TMs only show a decal on the cover/lid.. I wonder if there was also a body decal?

Hi Deadline,

The air cleaner came off a mid 1944 cckw B1 that i bought for spares in 2005. Chassis number 379104. The truck was ex Norway brought into this country in 1994. The dealer brought in 13 in total. So far i have owned 3 of them and i know the location of a further 2 (maybe one day ?)

The same aircleaner came with but not fitted to one of my other trucks.

This may be a Norwegian conversion ? I can post more pictures of the carb' mount if you want.

Regards David.

I can only make informed guesses as to what should be on the air cleaner... the only solid lead known are the two TMs that I referenced.. they do show an air cleaner decal, and its on the lid. Its also an AC Spark Plug decal.

Every other decal is an AC Spark plug, so to toss in a United decal would need to have something to support it. I do believe that they were used, but most likely on other GM products. The link I posted references M8s and M20s, as well as Chevys. I don't know anything about the carbs/air cleaners on a Chevy.

Thanks again for the pics.

One thing I would also like to mention.. a lot of places that have decals are simply using computers to print on a media.. they claim that they 'last longer'.. I beg to disagree as we are finding many water slide decals still in excellent shape. Water slide decals look better IMHO and they blend into the paint SOOO MUCH better.