Surviving Shermans ?

Scammell4199

Found the list on the link below, doesn't say how up to date it is but it shows alot of M4A4s on firing ranges in this country. I thought most of the wartime stuff had been removed or was so destroyed its barely recognisable.

Anyone throw any light on this? Adrian?

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/data/known_sherman_SNs.html

Richard

While i'm on the subject, i remember when i was in France with the MVT in 2004, in Falaise there was a Sherman set up as a monument in a sand pit at the side of the roundabout off the corner of the supermarket car park. I've recently tried locating it on Google Earth and can't find it. I'm 99% sure i got the location right. Anyone know if it has gone and if so has it gone to a good home? Do the french have any policy of getting rid of these monument tanks?

Richard

on the D658 going north out of Falaise theres a big supermarket or supermarche on the left. Theres a roundabout on the D658 next to the south-east corner of the supermarket carpark. The tank was on the side of the roundabout between the D658 and D511. That was in 2004.

Sound familiar Supertrack? Hows your restoration going? Whereabouts in France are you? I'm going to the Le Man 24hr next year, be good to drop in if its on the way.

Richard

It's not on the roundabout anymore, I spent a long weekend in Falaise last year, stayed at the Ibis, opposite the supermarket.

There is a Sherman outside the main entrance of the August '44 museum.

Well worth a visit, well worth walking up the track to the left, where the "reserve collection" is stored.

Balancing on the rickety fence to peek inside the back of the old cheese factory:cool2:

Panther.jpg

Sherman Hulks.jpg

Sherman.jpg

Otters.jpg

Nigel, oddly that hadn't crossed my mind, but i like your thinking.

Yeah we had a peek round the back of the August '44 museum in 2004, didn't realise there was a Panther there though. We didn't get long to look because someone who i can only presume was the owner, caught us poking around and i don't speak much french but i'm pretty sure he wasn't happy.

I'll see if i can dig out the photos i got before getting rumbled.

Richard

Nigel, oddly that hadn't crossed my mind, but i like your thinking.

Yeah we had a peek round the back of the August '44 museum in 2004, didn't realise there was a Panther there though. We didn't get long to look because someone who i can only presume was the owner, caught us poking around and i don't speak much french but i'm pretty sure he wasn't happy.

I'll see if i can dig out the photos i got before getting rumbled.

Richard

I did the same but introduced myself to M. Leloup and he gave me a tour!

Mr Leloup will be not happy for putting panther tank picture on the web site ...:-|

They have a lot of sherman tank on the museum but at this time they will stay poor sherman tank ...:cry:

French people are crazy ! :-(

I spoke (speak) with Mr Leloup and he tell me his priorities .

I will fight kike a lion for a successful restoration sherman :beatenup:

Nicolas Leloup is a good English speaker, I must have been lucky!

I agree with Adrian; Mr. Leloup is a good English speaker and very open to chat about vehicles and his collection.

The M4A1 (76), formerly on display at the roundabout, was in front of the museum close to the Sexton when I visited the museum in 2008 as also mentioned by others in this thread.

Alex