Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve email accounts disruption

fv1609

I've been surprised that for 2 days now I have not received any emails on either of the PCs or my phone. Gmail still works though.

Apparently this is a widespread problem & Orange will have addressed the problem in 3-5 days.

I thought it was the usual nonsense of account retrieval as the Orange email address has not been used for so many months. Anyway I rang the "help"line, there was a warning that because of the cold weather there were less operators available, I can't really see why as today as on every former occasion I am put through to India.

It took nearly half an hour at my expense to find out that this is a widespread problem & I'll just have to wait. Apologies if anyone has been trying to email me, please use PM or my gmail account.

Is anyone else getting this email problem?

Edited by fv1609

Hi Clive,

No problems here with BT emails, thought you were a bit quiet !

Call centres in India...........ask my brother about them, just heard from him today on the problems he had with a call centre, re. internet, they kept cutting the call off so he had to go through it all again. Got so annoyed he told them to put him through to someone in the UK.

Richard it is very odd to be even ignored by spam!

We all have people who might out of the blue want to make contact or people in intermittent contact might assume I'm ignoring them. Although I have a gmail account I don't want to blitz everyone in my address book with it & increase the chance of that account getting into the hands of spammers.

Of course I get no notification of posts to threads that I am part of on various forums which is frustrating.

But of course when the problems occur & they do from time to time with Orange, there is no info on their web page. I suppose it doesn't inspire confidence if you are a prospective customer.:-|

Although I have a gmail account I don't want to blitz everyone in my address book with it & increase the chance of that account getting into the hands of spammers.

Having used gmail since it started, in my experience their spam filters are excellent, virtually nothing gets through.

Used to be with orange wannado, dismal service, now with O2, much higher speeds, free calls to UK call center, brilliant service.

Having used gmail since it started, in my experience their spam filters are excellent, virtually nothing gets through.

Used to be with orange wannado, dismal service, now with O2, much higher speeds, free calls to UK call center, brilliant service.

The problem with Gmail accounts is that 95% of spammers that try to attack the forum use Gmail accounts.. makes it difficult when weeding out the spammers from genuine users.

Ah back to normal now. 88 emails, mind you only 5 were legitimate, including the one telling me my mailbox was full & therefore I can't send or receive PMs.

Problem is although I prune my inbox to keep that down, I usually omit to keep an eye on the sentbox & forget that adds to the total mailbox count.:-)

Richard do you want to email me about those EMERs?

PS I see that most of the spam is from mail-daemon telling me that my messages couldn't be delivered! These messages have my domain but the first "word" is a mixture meaningless letters. Does that mean something has invaded my thunderbird & sending out spam from "me"?

Edited by fv1609

I had Orange ADSL all the way back through Wanadoo to Freeserve and 56k dial-up.

Never gave me a second's problem. Then one day it just stopped. Numerous calls to Orange (at my premium rate expense) - nothing. They didn't want to get an engineer out because, even though they wanted me to pay, they would end up paying at some point. I half-Nelsoned them into getting a BT engineer out and wasted a day when I ought to have been working. When he headed several Ks up the road to the exchange, I could hear him checking the line between DSLAM and socket cos it kept pinging.

Orange still wouldn't admit a problem. Now Orange / Wanadoo / Freeserve had successfully kept me on a maxed-out tariff that I couldn't be arrsed to complain about, despite over the years offering me new, faster deals at lower prices: they always seemed to continue the old price.

I had been a Sky customer for years and they were offering free internet if you had Sky TV and phone, which I did. I took their "no-quibble unlimited" offer for a fiver a month. (PC magazines keep telling me that Sky's is the only truly no-quibble unlimited download contract).

It was a no-brainer. Actually the most help I got from Orange was from the guy from whom I demanded a MAC code, but still the line was silent. Sky promised me a working ADSL line within a week: it was up in about four days.

And I have just taken a £5 per month contract reduction.

Sorted. Nobody is any better than their solution to the last problem.