RB44 MOT class 7 or Private HGV

Hello, new to the site hope someone can help me.

I have bought 2 Reynolds Boughton RB44's and tried to MOT under class 7 but have been told they have to be Private HGV.

Can anyone help me with the process of getting these trucks road registered and on age related plates?

A friend of mine has had exactly the same problem at another MOT station, but I have seen RB's on the road. Any help or advice on the process and costs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Private/Heavy Goods Vehicle (TC10): if the vehicle has a revenue weight exceeding 3,500kg and the vehicle is not used for the conveyance of goods or burden, for hire or reward or in connection with a trade, business or profession.

Class I — Mopeds and motorcycles up to 199 cc

Class II — Motorcycles 200 cc and over

Class III — Tricycles and three wheeled cars

Class IV — Cars, motor-caravans, goods vehicles up to and including 3,000 kg gross weight, Minibuses (with no more than 12 passenger seats)

Class V — Private buses (with more than twelve passenger seats and up to sixteen)

PSV test (Class VI) — Public service vehicles used for hire or reward with more than eight passenger seats (test conducted by VOSA/DVA staff, usually at their own stations).

Class VII — Goods vehicles (between 3,000 kg and up to including 3,500 kg in gross weight)

HGV test — Goods vehicles over 3,500 kg GVW and trailers over 1,020 kg unladen weight or 3,500 kg GVW if fitted with over-run brakes (test conducted by VOSA/DVA staff usually at their own stations, or at VOSA approved designated premises).

So if between 3,000 kg and up to including 3,500 kg gross it will be class 7, if over then HGV test.. don't think there is a PHGV test Class??

Looking at this thread http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21160-RB44-weight I think it should be HGV??

Unladen Weight 3,000kg Gross Weight, 5,300Kg Max Load, 2,250Kg Towed Load, 2,200Kg

Edited by Marmite!!

Ours is registered as Private HGV (and on age-related plates, it's a J reg for 1991).

The maximum authorised mass is 5300kg so it can't fit in a Class 7 as is. If you were to modify it so it couldn't carry a load (i.e. cutting up the load bed) you may be able to get it reclassified as 3500kg as that's the approximate curb weight empty, but then you wouldn't be able to carry anything in it, ever!

I'd just plump for the HGV test and get it over with.

Stone

Private HGV isn't an MoT category, its a taxation class.

As others have said, as the truck grosses 5300 kg it'll be a Ministry test at the goods vehicle testing station or designated premises. These tests are nothing to be afraid of (and in many ways are better than many class 7 stations). The only pain is they take a bit more organising and notice.

Look up your local GVTS or ask VOSA and book the test on the vehicle's chassis number. Get the vehicle insured (again on the chassis number) before you take it for test, and make sure you've checked the vehicle thoroughly and it's nice and clean, particularly underneath.

Once it's tested, take the certificate, insurance and the MoD disposal paperwork, go to your local vehicle licensing office (DVLA office, not just the post office), fill in a V55/5, give them all the paperwork and an appropriate amount of money and they'll give you an age related registration and a shiny new tax disc.

Same as above.

You will need to book the vehicle in at a VOSA station. Go to the local DVLA office and get half a dozen D55 (incase you make a mistake) and try and get an operational manual for the RB44 so that you have all the info you need to fill the form out.

Make sure the vehicle is fitted with a Weight Data Plate so VOSA can check it and know what the max weights for the axles are. I think it's permanent 4x4 so make sure they DO NOT put it on the rolling road brake tester.

When you turn up at VOSA there is an IN LANE. Park up behind the other vehicles waiting for test. You don't have to let them know your there, but I would go into the office and just let them know your there and explain that it's the vehicles first test. Then go back to your vehicle and wait. It's not like a normal MOT. You will need to do all the vehicle controls. They will call you in and check the lights etc. Then you will be put over the pit where they get to work with their little hammer. Make sure the examiner is aware it's Permanent 4x4 and has a Transmission Handbrake. They will test the brakes with a tapley meter and put the vehicle on a large ramp to test the handbrake. When the test is finished the guy will go into the office and come out with a MOT certificate and as it's your first time a Plating Certificate that goes inside the cab.

Thanks everyone for good information.

I guess having it registered HGV will limit who can drive it as I seem to remember not everyone gets C1 (I think) when they pass their driving test.

I intend to sell one and keep on for myself. When you consider what they cost and what they will do I think the RB is great value for money. I drove mine on trade plates and it cruises along at 65 to 70 mph no problem.

I had a defender to get around the farm and to go shooting in, this looks much more fun!

Not as an HGV it doesn't. 56 max.

- MG

60 on a dual carriageway, 70 on a motorway. It's under 7.5 tonnes gross, so not an HGV just undergoes the same Ministry test as HGVs (though private HGV taxation to confuse things).

John, you're right, those having passed their car test since 1998 (I think - check it) can't drive over 3500 kg gross without passing another test.

Not quite the same but our 7.5 ton gross horsebox is classed as a Private HGV and also had to have it's plate done every 12 months like an MOT.

It's based upon a Ford Cargo 0810.

Hope that helps about the classification and testing etc.

Regards

Just spoken to avery helpful VOSA man on the phone and he can see no reason why it should need an SVA or IVA. It's just that the 1st MOT may be a bit more involved whilst all the basics are recorded to set up a vehicle record.

So wish us luck :)

Don

Well the first one to go to test is freshly painted and the engine bay looks like new. When the rain stops I will make sure the under side is the same on the basis that if it looks right the tester will not feel the need to poke around it more than he has too.

This is a great forum, thats for the good advice.

60 on a dual carriageway, 70 on a motorway. It's under 7.5 tonnes gross, so not an HGV just undergoes the same Ministry test as HGVs (though private HGV taxation to confuse things).

True, but if someone else is driving it you can tell them it's a max of 56 and they won't rag the engine too much ;)

John, you're right, those having passed their car test since 1998 (I think - check it) can't drive over 3500 kg gross without passing another test.

It's 1997 - I'm a couple of years under. When I get around to retaking my C test I'll hopefully pass and get C1 and C together :)

Stone

Take a few tools with you as its common for the headlights to be misaligned and make sure that the wheel nuts r all tight.

Class 7 MOT is incorrect its a visit to a ministry testing station every year my missus works for a truck repair company and they took all the RB44's for testing at a ministry testing station. Which was another reason why I wasn't bothered about the 'brake problems' I got the info direct from the mechanics who repaired the vehicles.

If you take it anywhere else for the MOT the DVLA can invalidate the MOT certificate when you go to register the vehicle for the 1st time and you won't have any pennies returned and will still have to go for a ministry test.

Best thing to do is ring them up and ask and let them talk through the procedure for the 1st MOT. I found them very helpful same with the DVLA in Manchester. I printed out pictures of the chassis and axle weights when I sent the forms into VOSA.

Axle weights by the drivers door next to the chassis plate.

Don't loose the cast certificate as its the only one that you will receive from Withams.

Take everything with you including the plating certificate when you register the vehicle on the V55. Don't forget a valid form of ID passport or driving licence, utility bill, insurance certificate, cheque book and a friendly face. Basically what ever they deem necessary to get it registered. Friendly face isn't on the form but it does help

Edited by ferrettkitt
spelling

• 2 months later...