Clansman Radio Sets

Rangie

Question

As a bit of a radio geek (used to be into 2m, but still fanatical over 11m FM :D).........

I was wondering what the frequency range and general spec (frequency, power output, AM/FM power requirements, etc), is of a clansman radio? As fitted to Landie FFR's.......

Mainly through curiosity, but I do know of someone who has a set up for grabs :cool2:

6 answers to this question

What Clansman are they selling?

Got users handbook infront of me at mo. for PRC-351...PRC-352.

Frequency coverage...30MHz to 76MHz in steps of 25kHz, providing 1841 channels. The mode of opperation is voice, narrow band FM, deviation of +- 5 kHz.

Power output PRC-351 4watts (nominal) into 50 ohms

.................. PRC-352 20watts..............................

The 353 same frequency range but don't have power out put's to hand at mo. can find if no one else answers. (some very knowlegable radio hams on this site)

Again, can dig out info. on the VRC-321 HF radio if wanted.

See one or two threads on Clansman over the last month if not seen already.

Andy.

The 353 same frequency range but don't have power out put's to hand at mo. c

If memory serves, 1W, 4W, 16W, 50W. A 20W adaptor was available to mount at the top of an 8m or 12m mast to boost the output. (Obviously running at 50W would fry the 20W adaptor. Was the adaptor an amplifier? Probably. Where did the years go?)

Alien

I'd be interested to know more about the masthead 20W adapter. The 20W amps I have seen were for the RT351 (taking 4W input to give 20W out) as in the finned middle section of this 352M

Were you thinking of the EVHF "pineapple" antenna base ?

I have had a look inside and it is purely a passive matching network to increase the bandwidth of the

sleeve dipole screwed in to the top - it actually includes a resistive attenuator to improve the match at

the expense of absorbing at least 20%-30% of the power which is probably why it is inadvisable to

use it at 50 watts for long ! I have been told that they show up well on any kind of IR night vision kit

when in use, too.

See:

http://www.g0ozs.org/clansman/EVHF/index.shtml

Regards

Iain

main_EVHF-4.jpg

tn_RT352M-2.jpg

Alien

I'd be interested to know more about the masthead 20W adapter. The 20W amps I have seen were for the RT351 (taking 4W input to give 20W out) as in the finned middle section of this 352M

Were you thinking of the EVHF "pineapple" antenna base ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37140[/ATTACH]

The pineapple pic you posted looks sort of right (it's 25 years today - 28 years since I transferred out of recce - that I left BAOR for the last time and got a job as a shiny-bottomed mainframe programmer and the memory isn't what it was). I really cannot remember anything else about it. Sorry.

I do also remember the 20W amplifier for the 351/2. We had a couple of 351/2s in the Signals Store, but never needed to issue them cos the Cold-War-turned-hot was to be a high-intensity mobile armoured battle and recce troops had no intention of dismounting unnecessarily to use manpacks when the Scorpions had two times 353 fitted.

When I joined thw QOY on Fox, we had 1 353 per veh and one 351/2 on a veh mount fitted, many a tim e sets went down and we used to have 351/2 bungeed to turrets/bins.This changed to 2x 353 when we got Sabre/Scimitar.

When I joined thw QOY on Fox, we had 1 353 per veh and one 351/2 on a veh mount fitted, many a tim e sets went down and we used to have 351/2 bungeed to turrets/bins.This changed to 2x 353 when we got Sabre/Scimitar.

So you went back to two 353s?

I always felt this was right for CVR(T) and putting a manpack in in place of one of them was too much compromise and just plain wrong.