Gmc oils

• 2 weeks later...

Beg to differ. EP oils CAN be used with yellow metals. Can *ALL* EP lubes be used? No, but if they cannot it will say so on the container.

The specific test is “copper strip corrosion” (ASTM D130). This tests how chemically reactive an oil is to copper and copper-containing alloys. For gear oils, a 1a rating is typically a good indicator that the oil is chemically inert, while higher ratings (such as 1b or 2a) might indicate possible problems when used in certain gearing at elevated operating temperatures. Often, a lubricant manufacturer will specifically state “this oil should not be used in gearboxes containing yellow metals”; other times, the manufacturer will simply state that the oil is appropriate for “steel-on-steel” applications – the implication being that they should not be used in situations where the ring gear is brass or bronze.

You also cannot rely on GL-5/MT-1 specs, or even GL-4 becuase there can be additives (sulfer based) that will still damage copper based metal.

There are some myths out there from very early issues with GL-5 oil.

If anyone has a brass synchro 'eaten' by a modern EP oil I like to see a pic.

This and many other oil questions have been discussed on here many times previously, if you use the search function you will be able to find the answer to your question, however on this occasion I can answer as I remember Richard Farrant being able to state definitively that OEP220 is not suitable for use in any transmissions with a copper content.

This and many other oil questions have been discussed on here many times previously, if you use the search function you will be able to find the answer to your question, however on this occasion I can answer as I remember Richard Farrant being able to state definitively that OEP220 is not suitable for use in any transmissions with a copper content.

Hi Degsy,

You are quite correct, to quote the entry in the Def Stan, "this oil may not be suitable for use in systems containing gears or bearings made of copper alloys".

This is purely for discussion, as I have no direct experience with British lubricants.

Some EP lubes are only detrimental to yellow metals at elevated temps. One lube I came across was safe for yellow metal as long as the temp of the oil was less than 250F in use. Above that point it became acidic and did damage copper based parts... but below that set point it was completely fine.

I'm sure none of us want to dig that deep into a lubes properties... so if a chap gives you advice and its seems sound, follow it. Chances are that even if you did find a specification that made a previously 'unsafe' lube 'safe' the chances are that you would still get resistance to using it because of what 'they know'.

Well, let try out some google-fu and look up the spec:

members.iinet.net.au/~dgrev/dhmg/fer-oils.html

"OEP-220 O-220 CS3000B Gear oil. SAE 90. Automotive hypoid gear units, heavy duty industrial enclosed gear units, steering gears, fluid lubricated universal joints automotive eqpt.

May not be suitable in systems containing bronze or other copper alloys. (ES= O-226)"

Emphasis is mine. "May not?" Well, Maybe!

A little search revealed that OEP-220 is designated as MIL-PERF-2105 is US Miltary use (http://www.fpcfilters.com/products/manufacturers/royal/roycocross/)

The spec sheet for MIL-PERF-2105 is here (http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-PRF/MIL-PRF+%28000100+-+09999%29/MIL-PRF-2105E_5290/)

And para 3.4.8 says

"Copper Corrosion The oil shall minimize copper corrosion. Satisfactory performance shall be demonstratted when the oil is tested in accordance with 4.1.1 table II (ASTM D 130) for 3 hours at 121 +1C and exhibits copper strip discoloration not exceeding ASTM 2a when compared to ASTM Copper Strip Corrosion Standard"

ASTM D 130 rates lubes as 1a the best, and more damaging the higher the number/letter. But 2a seems acceptable as long as you are under 121C

Also, it notes that MIL-PERF-2105 has been superseded.. so better oils are available.

Edited by deadline

• 2 months later...

i have had this convershion with a few people but the one who i would go with is rex ward as he said to me there are no bronze in axles or tranfer box on gmc trucks .the only one is the gear box as it has a bronze bush on 5th gear

he said if it has the stuff in it that will eat into bronze it will say on the can

give him a ring and ask for gearbox oil and you get ep90