Replica vs, original parts

robin craig

In some time distant, people will be looking at MVs that have been in private ownership and working on them.

As those who know British vehicles know, the parts are for the most part are marked by an FV number, which gives a clue to its originality.

In the collection I have at times been tasked with making replacement parts or modifications that bolt on for some purpose ie a searchlight mount. When doing these I know that I will be the last person to touch them and if I croak or the vehicle gets sold and that modification will be looked at by others and wonder if it is pukka.

To aid that determination I always mark the parts in such a way with stamped letters to make sure it is clear that it is not original. Does anyone else do this?

R

Always a question of 'How Original'. You can bet by the time it comes out of the factory and spends a couple of years in service a lot of parts have been replaced. Like the axe, it's original with three new hafts and the heads ben replaced. Terry Prattchet (Discworld again) Rhys, the Low King of the Dwarf's describe his Grand father's axe (For DW afficinados, I'm following Dwarf Ettiquete!) 'the decoration may have been freshened a bit, but as it has changed slowly with love and care, who can say it is not my grandfather's axe?'

Always a question of 'How Original'. You can bet by the time it comes out of the factory and spends a couple of years in service a lot of parts have been replaced. Like the axe, it's original with three new hafts and the heads ben replaced. Terry Prattchet (Discworld again) Rhys, the Low King of the Dwarf's describe his Grand father's axe (For DW afficinados, I'm following Dwarf Ettiquete!) 'the decoration may have been freshened a bit, but as it has changed slowly with love and care, who can say it is not my grandfather's axe?'

Anyone remember Trigger's Broom on 'Only Fools and Horses'? He had been using it for 20 years with only 3 new heads and 2 new handles.

Like the axe, it's original with three new hafts and the heads ben replaced. Terry Prattchet (Discworld again) Rhys, the Low King of the Dwarf's describe his Grand father's axe ... 'the decoration may have been freshened a bit, but as it has changed slowly with love and care, who can say it is not my grandfather's axe?'

Anyone remember Trigger's Broom on 'Only Fools and Horses'? He had been using it for 20 years with only 3 new heads and 2 new handles.

And both are variations on George Washington's axe... and I bet even that wasn't the first use of the phrase. Harald Hardrada's axe, perhaps...?

No Robin, you are right. We all hold the vehicles in trust. It is right to try and be as true as possible to the original. But the old girls wear out and kit has to be made or adapted. The result depends on the integrity of the person who is the custodian. Like old bulidings things change. Just make sure the changes are logged. Some are rivet counters, others are quite happy to fit a diffrent engine or other major mods.

I admire Robins intergrity and possibly using a different shade of eau de nil works in the short term but it certainly would need some form of "not the genuine/original article stamp" in the long term. I suppose the important thing is to alter the none original component to fit and avoid any alteration the original structure or mechanisms.