Sankey communications trailers

Dougiebarder

Hello all!

I've just got a comms trailer(not converted to battle damage repair), in fairly original condition, and was wondering if anybody had any information or photo's of them (I've got a copy of the manual,but it doesn't have any good internal pictures). Particularly the inside, I would like to know what the bracket's for the batteries and charging set look like (It's got the main frame, but no clamps etc).

Also were these ever used for triffid/ptarmigan installation's during the 80's?

I know I'm asking a LOT, but you don't ask, you never find out.

Cheers.

Matt. :?

Matt

Can you be a bit more specific on the trailer type? I have User Handbooks which give reasonable layout pics:

Army Code No. 13960 Radio Relay Medium (C41)

Army Code No. 13953 Signal Centre/Cipher Office

Army Code No. 60084 Signal Centre/Cipher Office

Army Code No. 13954 Radio Repair

I've got a copy of the Army Code No. 13954 Radio Repair handbook, and my trailer matches, but is missing a few bits and pieces, 1 set of drawers, a TUAM box and an aerial side arm-but they'll be easy to get(the test kit might take a little longer). (I'll look out for the other handbook's).

The illustration's are tantalising, but lack detail in some areas.( battery clamp's etc) The other thing I'm wondering (read hoping) is if it might have been used as a triffid relay trailer in the 80's. I'll try to get a history search done for the registration, but I found a form for a "unit feeding strength state" marked september 1988 in the sand pocket of the tent, and a label for 36 Sig reg (a TA unit) with triffid stamped on it, in one of the lockers( as well as a couple of sand bags from a .22 firing range :?).

I know a lot of these trailors have been released after they were transfered to the RAF for battle damage repair etc, but mine seem's to have stuck with the army, well into the clansman era.

I think that half the fun of this hobby is the research, and finding those elusive bits and pieces, so this should keep me happy for quiet a while.

Cheers for the info.

Matt :-)

Matt.

There was an earlier version of your User Handbook. It was Army Code No. 12780, might have a different angle on things. The CES was Army Code No.43048.

The 3 variants are summarised in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U 200/10. But the detail of your particular variant is in EMER COMMUNICATION INSTALLATIONS R 020. I am afraid I don't have this.

Matt,

Was this the trailer Withams had on ebay? I was bidding on it but it went a bit too high for me! I have a copy of 13953, I may be able to scan some pictures for you. My comms trailer was originally a relay station and spent its life at the army apprentice college before being converted to an ABDR and sent to RAF Coltishall. The chassis and underside are like new and I don't think it had spent any time outside, it was still in deep bronze green albeit rather faded and patched over. I have the poles for one of the side tents but no canvas. If you find any spare tent parts let me know!

Chris

It was a bit pricey :oops:, but I figured that I could end up spending a packet for all the bit's that came with this one already (and it hasn't been drilled or cut to fit any non original kit in). And thank's to Clive, I've got a lovely list of EMER's and user handbook's to look out for - I do love manual's :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Here are a couple of shots of a radio-relay detachment (SR C50/R236) from 3 Div HQ&Signal Regt - taken in Bulford in 1971. It was part of the Bruin set up and therefore had the BID200/10 fitted and NOT the CST1+4 No3. Pics are in B&W.

There is a C41/R222 equipped trailer displayed in the Royal signals museum in Blandford.

Landrover + Antenna Trailer:

C50system2.jpg

Landrover + Equipment Trailer:

C50system1.jpg

Detachment in location:

C50system3.jpg

C50 equipment trailer:

C50system4.jpg

hope it is helpful

Roger

To go back to your original question, during the 1970s/early 1980s, I came across the following trailers:

3 (Airportable) Div HQ & Signal Regt, Bulford -

equipped with C50/R236 radio-relay station (2 banks)

equipped as "Radcon" (Rado control) for the radio comcen

8 Signal Regt, Catterick -

3 trailers equipped with SR C41/R222 for a specific "Wartime Role"

34 (Eastern) Signal Regt (V) -

equipped with SR C41/R222

The trailers were used in the C41 role, and in the C50 role (Bruin and non-Bruin). Triffid was introduced after the requirement for an airportable force "disappeared" so were never put into trailers. The construction of the Triffid would probably make it difficult to put into a trailer.I've never come across a repair trailer, and the only C50 non-Bruin (ie without an RFA13 but with CST1+4 No3) I've ever seen is in Blandford.

The role of the TA units was to provide a line of communication from the Channel ports to connect into 1 (BR) Corps logistics train - and thus into 16 Signal Regt -hence the C41s.

In detail-

C50 (Bruin) 2 sets each with - C50, R236, RFA13, PSU49, PSU50, Frequency Synthesiser set, BID200/10

C50 (Non-Bruin) 2 sets each with - C50, R236, Frequency Symthesiser set, CST1+4 No3

C41 - 2 sets each with - C41 , R222, associated PSUs, CST1+4 No3

In the last picture, the box on the extreme top left contained the lighting kit.Also in the C50 (Bruin) version, a loadout deviation was not permitted. The RFA13 had to be nearest to the drawbar due to weight considerations. Some idiot built the system up the WRONG way around, and the trailer started swinging like mad, and nearly got written off!

Hello All,

I have one of these trailers that managed to miss the change to the BDRE role. Can't remember the reg number, might be 27FH16, will check. When I got it, it had a frame on the floor and 3 sets of bracing bars and top bracket clamps. It looks like it all held down 3 parts of the same type kit. It also had a pair of penthouse frames. 2 junction boxes inside the roof, one for a mains connection and one to lights to connect, some lights and a mass of what I would call larkspur wiring. Hope this of some interest, can get pics if required.

Regards

Dougy

The frame (if it is the same as mine-there should be a brass plate on the hitch end with a designation on it) has a large storage box for test kit bolted in the middle and a space at one end for 2 batteries, and a charging set at the other. I don't suppose your's has the bracket for the battery charger bolted to the inside? There is a manual on the EMLRA site if you are a member, but it isn't clear about the battery charger shelf! (I would love to get the charger, but they are very hard to find:argh:).

• 5 years later...
I've got a copy of the Army Code No. 13954 Radio Repair handbook, and my trailer matches, but is missing a few bits and pieces, 1 set of drawers, a TUAM box and an aerial side arm-but they'll be easy to get(the test kit might take a little longer). (I'll look out for the other handbook's).

The illustration's are tantalising, but lack detail in some areas.( battery clamp's etc) The other thing I'm wondering (read hoping) is if it might have been used as a triffid relay trailer in the 80's. I'll try to get a history search done for the registration, but I found a form for a "unit feeding strength state" marked september 1988 in the sand pocket of the tent, and a label for 36 Sig reg (a TA unit) with triffid stamped on it, in one of the lockers( as well as a couple of sand bags from a .22 firing range :?).

I know a lot of these trailors have been released after they were transfered to the RAF for battle damage repair etc, but mine seem's to have stuck with the army, well into the clansman era.

I think that half the fun of this hobby is the research, and finding those elusive bits and pieces, so this should keep me happy for quiet a while.

Cheers for the info.

Matt :-)

I was in 36 Signal Regiment briefly (1984/1985), leaving just before we made the changeover from C41s to Triffid. Kept in touch with a couple of guys for a year or two after leaving, and I know they got Triffid in about 1986, so that would fit.

Regards,

Steve