New vehicles that are out there.....

petop

Having recently returned from Afghanistan and back in work, i got a phonecall to see if i could look over some new bits of kit....basically take them out and see what i thought....

Springer 2. Basically updated version of first one.

Whippet. Small load carrier. Very good x-country.

Dingo. Weird looking but the rear suspension set-up makes it seemingly float over rough terrain. Managed 110km/h on rough terrain!

In Dingo.

Photo0095.jpg

Photo0096.jpg

Photo0090.jpg

Photo0092.jpg

Edited by petop

Having recently returned from Afghanistan and back in work, i got a phonecall to see if i could look over some new bits of kit....basically take them out and see what i thought....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33090[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33092[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33091[/ATTACH]

Dingo. Weird looking but the rear suspension set-up makes it seemingly float over rough terrain. Managed 110km/h on rough terrain!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33093[/ATTACH]

In Dingo.

I have a 'toy' similar to these, in a few ways, except maybe cost-wise...... based on the ever reliable BMC Mini engine, (other engines very easily used, though), here's a few pictures..... mine is capable of road speeds of around 90mph, (at the moment!), and off-road, -whatever you feel comfortable enough to hang on at!:cool2:

Now it's nice and GREEN!.jpg

Copy of Wedgy at Boldre Airstrip.jpg

NCF BLITZ rear + os.jpg

Brad in Buggy at C.O.R.E..jpg

In Dingo.

Just a side issue as I guess these items are still in development, but as they are posted on the world wide web how are you covered under 'restricted issue' and the OSA?? Interested to know some what!

I have a 'toy' similar to these, in a few ways, except maybe cost-wise...... based on the ever reliable BMC Mini engine, (other engines very easily used, though), here's a few pictures..... mine is capable of road speeds of around 90mph, (at the moment!), and off-road, -whatever you feel comfortable enough to hang on at!:cool2:

Where did you find that Oily? Rather fancy one myself:)

Top gun there Petop mate, they look a tad harder than the Springer MK1. That six legger looks the mutts mate. had a few guys up at DVD this year, not sure if any of them saw these vehicles, were they on display??? The MK1 has spent best part of six months out on the ranges with 16AAB, seems as if the little problems have now been ironed out.

Sorry for being a bit dum, BUT, is the Wippet the six legger???

Great pictures mate.

Tony.

They were all at DVD. The problems that affected Springer have or are being addressed by manufacturer. Hence Springer2. After all its a UOR and U stands for Urgent so not everything can be tested in time so its a case of suck it and see!

Even MASTIFF, which is a battle winner, had its problems.

As for Whippet it isnt, its 4x4.

The 6x6 is excellent x-country and has actually been on the scene for a fair few years in another country.

They were all at DVD. The problems that affected Springer have or are being addressed by manufacturer. Hence Springer2. After all its a UOR and U stands for Urgent so not everything can be tested in time so its a case of suck it and see!

Even MASTIFF, which is a battle winner, had its problems.

As for Whippet it isnt, its 4x4.

The 6x6 is excellent x-country and has actually been on the scene for a fair few years in another country.

Hopfully get to see one or two of the Dingo's rocking around the ranges soon. Just been told that Andy did see them at DVD and never told me, note in diary, beat Andy more often with a bigger stick me thinks.....

Where did you find that Oily? Rather fancy one myself:)

Hi, mate.....My l'il Green Buggy, is an N.C.F. Blitz2, and actually a kit-car, I found it on eBay,I paid £1850, for mine. After having planned to build one a few years earlier,...this turned up ready-built, and MOT'd etc.... They still turn up now and then on eBay, (in fact I believe there are a couple on there now....)... really you ought to try and find one that's already on the road, as the new Kit-car test (I.V.A.) is a little bit costly.

The basic kit is around £900 or so, and you then gut a couple of old mini's or MGF's or whichever version you decide to build, for the relavant bits to make it go and stop etc.

2 Companies market it in this country:N.C.F.Motors, -(The original guys to have manufacturing rights to the frame design), or, 'Blitzworld', who also market updated versions using K-Series engines, (lighter, faster, bigger! up to 1800cc!!!! and 150mph +!:cool2::-D:-D:-D), although with simple mods, my version could be adapted to take the K-series engine too.

Blitzworld also sell ready-made ones to order. Also the frame is F.I.A spec cold-drawn, seamless tube, which will withstand 12tons before deforming!, so a luggage rack to carry heavier weights, such as required by the Springer etc shouldn't pose much of a problem....

Mine was originally Yellow and Black, but a few cans of Deep Bronze Green sorted that, and now I'm gradually configuring it as a similar sort of thing to the buggies in the othe part of this thread, only MUCH cheaper!...I managed to get agreed value of £3500, which will only increase when I fit my winch, CB, etc. It's very capable off road, despite only 2wd, as it only weighs about 500kgs! so it fairly shifts well.... , also being so light, it even puts some 4x4's to shame, as it doesn't sink in mud so much, and on the road you don't have to slow down for roundabouts, and it suprises loads of sportsbike riders with it's cornering abilities.....I reckon the M.O.D. have missed these little gems!..... If you want to know more just ask!,.... maybe if you are local?.... come out for a spin?................. I drive it as my everyday car, as it certainly makes my drive to and from work more fun:drive:... even when it's raining!:nut:, or snowing!!!!

Regards,

Matt

Edited by oily
additional txt

• 4 months later...

I can vouch for the little NCF Blitz 2 as i owned 1 for a few years and also ran the now defunct North West Owners club & website...

With off-road tyres these things really fly and definitely can put landrovers & suzukis to shame if driven well..

The only thing that causes them problems is really wet conditions as they are based on the old mini engine who some of you probably know also used to suffer if the dissis got wet...that said i have been through mud & water that it would be extremely difficult to walk through and used to have to wear full 1 piece waterproof suits at the site we used...

They are most definitely good fun and i still miss it..

here is a link to the main manufacturer and designers web site

http://www.ncfblitz.co.uk/

mike

Essentially the front subframe is bolted in "as is" in the rear with a very simple gear linkage modification and steering modification ...in essence the centre of the steering rack is removed from the rack and then this is hard bolted to the subframe to lock the steering...

Might lend itself to 4 wheel steering but would need a creative approach perhaps...

mike

In Dingo.

Im'e glad ime out if that's what the Army is thinking about..kit cars !!

4-wheel steering would be possible in theory, but these Blitz's are so short, (approx 18" - 2ft shorter than a standard Mini), they can virtually turn on their own axis, with a heavy dollop of right foot!, and some owners have fitted individual 'fiddle' handbrakes to tighten the turning circle for off-road trialling.... if you are really clever, you could fit a front-wheel drive engine and gearbox, but with the driveshafts pointing forwards and backwards, and then extend rear frame to fit 2 Suzuki jeep axles, and make it an awsome mini-4WD, albeit with an odd gearchange pattern to sort out, or use an automatic gearbox.... I have seen one with a Ford V6 and a VW gearbox, with an extended rear frame made into a sort of off road pick-up... if you can cut and weld, the possibilities are almost endless:cool2:

hmmm, yeah, I usually have to 'tinker' a bit with my one, as with so much of it exposed and not originally designed for off-road use the Mini-based electrics and suspension need a lot more attention, still, I find it's half the fun..... I must whizz up to your yard and have a good look at your toys.... how are you getting on with your Saracen? mines still waiting for me to change it's troublesome fluid flywheel!:embarrassed: