Origin of the term "Jimmy'

deadline

Does anyone have a reference to the term 'Jimmy' being used in a US Army WWII document?

I have read over a dozen Army Motors (WWII editions) and never saw the term 'Jimmy' applied. They use GMC, 2 1/2 Ton truck, etc, but never 'Jimmy'.

When they reference the Ford GPW or Willy MB they do use 'jeep', '1/4ton reconnaissance car' etc.

Some books (the Tankograd CCKW book) makes note that the term 'Jimmy' was never used in WWII, and I am starting to agree as I have found no references supporting it.

Does anyone have a reference, a story, a limerick that would explain the origin of the term and how/why it is applied to the GMC 2 1/2 ton truck?

From here http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Meaning-of-the-Name-Jeep&id=2185870 and here http://42fordgpw.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/what-does-jeep-mean/

"I know that Military Vehicle Magazine was looking for (even running a contest) evidence that during WW2 the "Jimmy" or GMC 2 1/2-ton truck was ever referred to as a "duece-and-a-half" during WW2. As far as I know no evidence has been presented."

But am i the only one singing the theme tune to Convoy?

...It was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June in a Kenworth haulin logs,

and a cabover Pete with a reefer on and a Jimmy hauling hogs...

Oh dear. Sorry guys.

Edited by Runflat

From here http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Meaning-of-the-Name-Jeep&id=2185870 and here http://42fordgpw.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/what-does-jeep-mean/

"I know that Military Vehicle Magazine was looking for (even running a contest) evidence that during WW2 the "Jimmy" or GMC 2 1/2-ton truck was ever referred to as a "duece-and-a-half" during WW2. As far as I know no evidence has been presented."

But am i the only one singing the theme tune to Convoy?

...It was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June in a Kenworth haulin logs,

and a cabover Pete with a reefer on and a Jimmy hauling hogs...

Oh dear. Sorry guys.

We used to have our own CW........but his surname wasn't McCall:D

The Notman article was rather circular...

It claims that the 'Jimmy' was never referenced as a 'duece-and-a-half'... it appears that it was never called a 'Jimmy' either.

I completely agree that 'duece' et al is not a WWII reference, but the new task would be to prove or debunk the 'Jimmy' reference.

Its not in the TMs, and Army Motors would be the next, best place to look (not the MVPA one).

...Army Motors would be the next, best place to look (not the MVPA one).

I've had a quick scan through some of the few copies I have; the editors are very careful to spell out precisely which vehicle they are talking about - so no mention of "deuce-and-a-half" or "Jimmy". It's always "2 1/2-ton 6x6 GMC truck", or "GMC 2 1/2-ton 6x6", or some other combination.

That said, the November 1944 edition says at one part, "...when you get a GMC 2 1/2 ton, 6x6 replacement engine for your duck or truck." Similarly, the August 1945 edition mentions "jeeps". So they weren't totally against using nicknames, just no evidence, from the copies I have, that 'Jimmy' was in common parlance.

I understand that GM launched a GMC "Jimmy" circa 1970 - essentially a badge engineered Chevrolet "Blazer". What would be interesting to know is whether GM choose the 'Jimmy' name in order to trade on an existing nickname for GMC or if this is where things started.

As a random thought, a long time popular song was/is "Jimmy crack corn". Is it too much to suggest that 'Jimmy', with its slave associations, could be easily applied by an errant GI to the army workhorse, especially when GM[C] is so close phonetically; or, dare I say it, becuase of the high use of African American drivers. Pure speculation though. You need to chat to some vets to find out what terminology was actually used - although sounds as if Degsy's been there.

Isn't it something to do the "GM" reference, GM - (G)jimmy? Like Willys "jeep" is meant to be derived from GP?

Yes, that is the origin of the word but when I researched it some years ago it appeared that the word jimmy had been used in the thirties to describe pick up trucks built by GMC. If that is true then it would be reasonable to suppose that some serving soldiers in WW2 might just have transferred the usage to the CCKW. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of veterans on being confronted with a CCKW will call it a Diamond T which shows what the years do to memory.

Checking through the book THE ROAD TO VICTORY, no mention of Jimmy or Deuce-and-a-half is made by the truckers themselves in their own words (the book is peppered with quotations). They only refer to them as TRUCKS or 2 1/2 TONNERS. Same goes for officers' mention of them in despatches.

The author however refers to them constantly as JIMMY /JIMMIES, and states they were nicknamed as such by the drivers - also mentions the DEUCE-AND-A-HALF nickname. He must have interviewed many a driver.

So no satisfactory proof either way from this book!

I think another point to consider is what the drivers called them and what the troops who were carried in the body may have called them. I don't think the infantry really cared what they rode in just as long as they didn't have to foot slog it.

I have approx 20 Army Motors and I see jeep used frequently... one even mentions 'seep' (GPA) but alas, no 'Jimmy'

While the term 'jeep' appears to have many possible origins (and legal battles, too) its almost certain that the myth of 'GP' as its beginnings has been disproved. All American Wonder Vol I goes into a few pages about the matter.

I do recall the GMC Jimmy (a smaller version of and a competitor to the Bronco from Ford).

Remember, the 2 1/2 ton trucks were originally 'Yellow Coach and Cab' a Division of General Motors Truck (I will admit to not know the intricate corporate links but Yellow Coach was bought by GM, but it took a while to lose the Yellow Coach off the data plates). While the TMs were adorned with the GMC logo (and the brush guard logo) After April 1943 the logo and 'GMC' it was stripped from almost all TMs and vehicles.

The Early TMs did have 'General Motors Truck' in fairly large font, but the logo in the center simply said 'GMC' and circled by 'Gasoline Diesel Trucks'. Not a lot to get 'Jimmy' out of.

The 'Yellow coach' was partly owned by GMC when the first CCKW'S were made but later became a wholly owned subsidiary. The term 'jimmy' comes from the letters GM. The company was and still is known as General Motors or GM hence 'jimmy'.

Edited by Degsy

When the Airborne moved up to the Battle of the Bulge a lot refer to 'trailer trucks'. I wonder if these were Chev's or something larger.

They used a lot of Autocars/feds/Internationals and the stake trailers :)

Isn't it something to do the "GM" reference, GM - (G)jimmy? Like Willys "jeep" is meant to be derived from GP?

Old GMC trucks are usually referred to as 'Stovebolts' (the special bolts used on the engines... sort of like a bolt with a phillips head on it. I never heard of a 'Stovebolt' but one of the forums I read dedicated to old GMC trucks makes that distinction.

Also, as posted previously, 'jeep' did not originate from 'GP'. GP was Fords designation for a vehicle with an 80 inch wheelbase. A 'jeep', as told by AAW Vol 1 was a character in a Popeye comic strip.

When the Airborne moved up to the Battle of the Bulge a lot refer to 'trailer trucks'. I wonder if these were Chev's or something larger.

According to "The American Arsenal" artic tractors (in our speak) are called "Truck Tractor"

i.e.

Truck Tractor 8 ton 6x4 and so on

You do need to be careful out there among them English -

One lead I followed up was to an urban street dictionary website, which gave the definition of 'Deuce-and-a-half' as a lady of around two hundred and fifty pounds in weight :coffee: