British vehicle siren? Pre WWII-WII? Secomak VS1 "Syren"

Mac

Hello all!

I have this siren (actually it is in the mail to me at the moment from a friend) below. I don't really need help with an actual ID, as it has a tag. The siren is a Secomak "Syren" VS1. It is somewhat close in appearance to the GP1, and has a similar sound as well.

Secomak's, as far as I know, were factory and building mount warning sirens, but what throws me on this one is the 6volt, which is why I am assuming vehicle.

No one I have asked has been able to help me or has even seen one that looks like this, but we American's aren't too familiar with the Secomak's generally.

Also, if it means anything, this siren was found in Australia.

Edited by Mac

Don't think it is a vehicle siren. British taste up to the late 1960's was much more genteel. We preffered the ringing of a bell.

Actually Tony, when I first started work with the Army, the establishment had a Massey Ferguson 35 tractor fitted with two sirens, one like this, and in the case of an attack, terrorist or otherwise, it was driven around the area to alert everyone.

The fact that the siren in question is 6 volt, could serve to date it to 1940's as a lot of vehicles were of that voltage at the time.

Definitley looks the age, like a cut down version of the big air raid siren. As a long shot, might it have been for something like a narow gauge military railway vehicle? Its the terminals that are making me think it was not designed to be exposed to the elements to much.

Richard Farrant, Do you recall if this was like the siren on the tractor?

Tony, I agree with you about the terminals, but I'm not sure why it would be 6volt if not for vehicles. Secomak made a somewhat similar siren to this (the GP1) that were 240v (115v too?) for factories and such, but 6v?

I have no knowledge of rail systems, especially narrow gauge. Do you have anymore insight on this?

Mac, I was thinking of factory sirens last night. I recall seeing similar sirens on the side of range buildings. As you say the siren was found in Australia, I wonder if it may have been part of the various range equipment over there? If it was part of a battery fed emergency system, that would explain the voltage. The rail use was just a brainstorm, there were vehicles modified to run on rails for various purposes. The thought of a tractor trundeling round a site to warn of emergencies, now that is bizzare. :-D

Edited by Tony B

It might not have even been mounted to a vehicle, i remember seeing an air horn set up, with relays mounted to a board and using lead acid batteries for NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) attack warning, as Richard has previously mentioned, it could of well have been mounted possibly temporarily to any vehicle and used as mobile external warning. Secomak have been going for years, so it could be early post war.

I have done no end of exercises and operations where NBC sentries are posted and use a variety of warning methods from Electric sirens, car horns, bells and the banging of mess tins, and good old shouting "Gas Gas Gas".