432 brake/steering adjustment

blue red blue

evening,

the nut is bigger than that (1" 5/16th comes to mind )but i am at home at moment so cannot be sure , and it bleeding tight you can take some adjustment up with the connecting rods (3/4) spanner sized lock nut if you struggle to undo adjuster nut any help p.m me i'll help you out

iain

there is an alternative , remove adjuster using the 4 x (spanner head 9/16 bolts) clamp in vice and use a big set of stilsons crack off lock nut, refit to steering box adjust as required and or locktite or remove and reuse stilsons lock it off in vice and refit .

maybe not the prescribed method but has worked for me with out the proper kit in the past

Iain

Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone I work (attend) BT, but someone has to!

Glad u like the site, got lots of stuff still to go on there, now if I cud get away with bringing my laptop into work!

In the process of trying to make a page doin a step by step with pics we took of the brake adjustment.

There might even b a page on how to put the pack back in the 434 when DaveP pulls his finger out, & stops buying other projects!

Oh & the dodgy one on the site is the technical department, when u spend a weekend camping at beltring with DaveP u can see why!

Dougy

there is an alternative , remove adjuster using the 4 x (spanner head 9/16 bolts) clamp in vice and use a big set of stilsons crack off lock nut, refit to steering box adjust as required and or locktite or remove and reuse stilsons lock it off in vice and refit .

maybe not the prescribed method but has worked for me with out the proper kit in the past

Iain

The original Adjusting spanner was a short one with a tapering handle approx 10" long. This was issued to VM's to do the nessacary adjustments. It is tight, because the final tightening sequence involved a hard smack with a SOFT faced mallet on the handle to secure the nut.

If you look at most of the bolt heads on 432 mechanical assemblies. they are secured with lockwire to prevent loooening from vibration.

I used to keep one in my toolbox so I didnt have to keep going to the G1098 store to sign one out each time i had an adjustment to do. (Which was frequently!)

I would NEVER advocate the use of Loctite on anything connected with the engine or gearbox & Steering unit. These get EXTREMELY HOT in usage!

The steering unit gets so hot, you CAN cook an egg in a messtin on top of it!

Heat DESTROYS Loctite & so it's use becomes useless. If that is the case, When you think about it. then with only the use of Loctite, that is NOT a method of locking any fasteners reliably. :shocked:

Mike.

The Original Lock Nut is the ONLY reliable & safe way to go.