Unit Markings

bawtrylwt

Question

13 answers to this question

Richard Farrant can probably help on this, he should be back on tomorrow evening.

By pure chance I might be able to identify this one. 168 was a familiar one, on a blue background, when I worked on a lot of Royal Engineers vehicles from 1974 onwards. It was the sign for 36 Engineer Regiment RE, then based at Maidstone. Unless numbers had changed over time since 1958-60, then that is best I can come up with.

Thanks Richard do you have any idea where it would have been rebuilt?

36 Engr Regt is still based at maidstone. Invicta Park Bks. My old stomping ground for many a year. Pale blue square has been engineers for a long time.

Cant help you with the base workshops that may have rebuilt your vehicle.

Regards

Tim

Thanks Richard do you have any idea where it would have been rebuilt?

This is a question often asked, and no one appears to have found a list of these numbers. It is most probably a civilian contractor under the Ministry of Supply contract repair scheme, sometimes garages or even the original manufacturers. If it had been a Army workshop, it would indicate so quite clearly with an abbreviation of its title.

Just emailed the RE museum to see if they had any info only to be told a blue square is a reme marking? slightly confusing

You obviously got someone who knows nothing !

I was wondering what this Pioneer is, because if it is a recovery version, it would normally be operated by REME and bear their flash, red/yellow/blue. Assume it is a ballast tractor and was used for towing plant trailers, they would be operated by RE and carry the blue square......unless someone has swapped mudguards from another one.

You obviously got someone who knows nothing !

I was wondering what this Pioneer is, because if it is a recovery version, it would normally be operated by REME and bear their flash, red/yellow/blue. Assume it is a ballast tractor and was used for towing plant trailers, they would be operated by RE and carry the blue square......unless someone has swapped mudguards from another one.

Richard, the RE operated Pioneer R100 Gun tractors AND SV/2S recovery variants when pulling plant trailers. When operating in Italy with the 8th Army, they had an assortment of Pioneers, Diamond T's and Macks as well as a few QL's and Matadors.

Pioneers, macks and DT's on plant trailers, QL's carrying spares etc and the Matadors pulling smaller trailers or acting as pushers/shunters on the plant trailers.

Basically the RE in Italy got whatever they could from North Africa and beyond.

Not sure what they were equipped with in NW Europe.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Desert Rat