Lady be Good

timbo

I had written a book review on this but I guess it was lost in one of the crashs , I ll have the isbn # 0-8306-8624-x . A number of items from this aircraft on at the Wright Patterson Museum in Ohio, I have a couple of photo's from there but not the best , One of the original Aircrew is still missing They beleive his body may lay in an area some unknown number of miles to the north of the wreak site in a sand sea trackless and uninhabitible , I dont recall the miles they walked but a couple of the crew managed to walk something like 90 + miles in 130 f degree temps with only a canteen cap of water per man per day , and with no water , food or shelter for several of their final days , these details came from a diary keep by one of them

mvbook001-1.jpg

Edited by abn deuce
correted spellings and text

Has also reminded me that somewhere I have a book on Transport Command describing wartime crash in the desert and diary extracts from pilot who survived for a few days/ weeks...

Unbelievably poignant. RIP....

If I can find it I'll post some details.

Is that the film where the ghosts disapper every time one body is found? At the end only one is left.

Yep that's the one. There is still one crew member from LBG missing in the desert.

If you have a look at some of the various sites dedicated to this story, you'll also see that the wreckage is still held by the Libyan authorities and can be viewed on google earth. It does seem to get moved from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...
Is that the film where the ghosts disapper every time one body is found? At the end only one is left.

Thanks Guys,

I have been trying to remember the name of that movie for years, I knew that it was based on the Lady be good after reading the book, now it will be interesting to see if the script can be traced bacward to see who contributed the story, it had to be one of the people who helped recover the bodies.

Best

Gus

Thanks for the link , that lead to this the entire movie less the credits is posted online . I could nt get it to play until I advanced the cursor a few minutes and then it played . I never forgot the movie and never found it until now.

the link to the movie

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7574338161920794843#

Hi guys,

Am I going mad? I distinctly remember reading a thread in a similar (exact) vein some time ago (4, 5 months ago??) but I cant find it anywhere and this thread's dates don't add up. Maybe its just that I am a platinum blonde?

Hi guys,

Am I going mad? I distinctly remember reading a thread in a similar (exact) vein some time ago (4, 5 months ago??) but I cant find it anywhere and this thread's dates don't add up. Maybe its just that I am a platinum blonde?

Monty

I thought it was just me ! I had thought I'd read about it but I couldn't find it either.. Maybe another forum (wash my mouth out....!)

Guess it is just one of those perennial favourites being such a good story..

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Has also reminded me that somewhere I have a book on Transport Command describing wartime crash in the desert and diary extracts from pilot who survived for a few days/ weeks...

Unbelievably poignant. RIP....

If I can find it I'll post some details.

Finally found it...

The book is called 'But not in anger' by Cole & Grant, Ian Allan of course, circa late '70's.

The story relates to a Polish ferry pilot, Sergeant Mikolajczak, who came down in the North African desert. When the aircraft (and it's pilot) were found some time later, he had managed to scribble down a few messages including the following extracts.

"I doubt if I shall live till the morning, I am getting weaker and weaker every minute. I have only three gulps of water and I have such a terrible thirst, I should go somewhere, but where? I am completely lost. Goodbye, we shall meet where we all have to go one day...

Death is very near, I tried to take off, I have still ten gallons but the accumulators are flat. I looked for help but now help will not come... Oh god shorten my sufferings, there will be no help for me, let nobody land in the desert where there are no poeple, as there is no way out...

I hear an aircraft flying to the south, to my right, my last hope, I cannot get up to have a look. My last minutes, god have mercy on me..."

Like I said, very sad and you can't help thinking of Lady be Good in similar circumstances. Also there is that old dilemma of what to do, stay with the aircraft or make a break for it...