432 Radio batteries and power

I have the radio batteries fitted and they are charged, the leads all run off to the back of the dist box but then I find nothing coming out?

Ime basicaly after the 24v supply to fit an inverter to provide 240v

Apart from connecting direct to the batteries has anyone got any ideas as idealy I would like to tap off the battery change over box but a tad unsure without blowing it all up.

Ime suspecting the dist box has got to come off the mounting and have a shufty behind (the box with the master switch) and follow any cables that look like they might be the ones leading to the change over box?

Ive got the complete book on how the machine works but nothing relating to the internal power supplies

Confused?....I am :nut:

Paul

I haven't got my 432 yet to check definitively (that's tomorrow!) but examination of the Unit Repairs manual shows that the radio distribution box has two sets of outputs on connectors SK5 and SK2, which feed the left-hand and right-hand radio junction boxes respectively. Both have +24V on Pin A and 0V on Pin B, fed via a 100A fuse. See if you can identify the two sockets and follow the wiring to the junction boxes? If you've got a Clansman IB2 or IB3 control unit for the radios and intercom, one of the sockets is probably feeding that, I'm not sure about the other one.

And

If you're planning to use an inverter, you need to decide what type depending on what you're using it for. The cheap and cheerful ones have a highly distorted square wave output which some equipment won't like at all. The more expensive ones are usually described as "pure sine wave" and will be OK for anything. As ever, you pays your money and takes your choice!

Andy

Here's my radio distribution box. There are two output looms made from white Nyvin, a four cable one at the front and a two cable one you can just see at the back.

This is what the four cable one looks like:

They feed a pair of boxes marked "Mod RJB", one near the commander's shoulder and one underneath the engine fire extinguishers. Here's the latter:

I suspect, but haven't yet checked, that on each RJB the incoming power is on the side socket and there's probably a pair of terminal strips inside feeding the cables that come out through the grommets. Just pop the cover off, connect to the terminal strip and off you go!

Andy

IMG_1184aw.jpg

IMG_1186aw.jpg

IMG_1193aw.jpg

Andy

A million thanks for taking the time out

It beginning to make some sense now, the downside is the mass of unused ****e cabling that can be ripped out but the picture is coming together now

By rights, if the radio batteries are connected and i have a fiddle with the change over box, i should be able to get 24v out of those boxes or at the very least the feeder cables

Paul

Paul -

I'm in much the same state at the moment, trying to work out what I've been left with so that I can get the intercom back up and working for starters. I took the top off the left-hand RJB and it does indeed just contain a pair of terminal blocks fed by the plug. I'd suggest that the RJBs are as good a place as any to pick up your 24V.

Andy

Jim and i will be happy to help you out,come and see us at the war and peace show.We have the 432 with the home made h frame on the front.

Regards

Richard

That identification worked a treat - good to see you, sorry I didn't get back in time for the trip round the site! :embarrassed:

Andy