Saracen Problem

paulob1

okay I need a bit of help...if you put her in first she is real slow to move off...she doesn't really want to unless you are on really low revs and build up slowly, if you rev it nothing...does this mean I need to pump the pedal in each gear a bit more to tighten up the bands.....second and up seem very smooth as mine is up armoured should i use 1st to pull off..

Hi Paul

Mine is the same, I just use 2nd to pull away.

In a ferret you don't use first unless you are on a hill or dealing with an obstacle. If its happy doing it in 2nd then carry on I say and I have several whole days of experience of saracen ownership to draw from:)

Cheers

Paul

PS have you seen my post in I might be stupid but....., wondered if your saracen is similar to mine

I think they all do that.... 1st in a saracen is extremely low, and only for really heavy going, off road, 2nd or 3rd for the traffic light grand prix, that'll suprise a few motorists!...probably you too!.....

I need to replace/reseal my flywheel.... it's leaking, badly, in a very leaky way!:-(:-( big job, I fear!

I think they all do that.... 1st in a saracen is extremely low, and only for really heavy going, off road, 2nd or 3rd for the traffic light grand prix, that'll suprise a few motorists!...probably you too!.....

I need to replace/reseal my flywheel.... it's leaking, badly, in a very leaky way!:-(:-( big job, I fear!

Its in second that it isnt driving off, very slow, if you rev it is does nothing but if you just ease the throttle it drives off, it must be the band slipping but I guess I need to do the pumping in each gear thingy...

that gearlever thingy is very odd...sometimes stiff sometimes easy...very very odd...

Should be the first thing you do when you first drive it each day...

Yes you need to depress the GCP 6 times before the start of the days driving this is the same in the ferret and dingo it is part of the FIRST Parade Fuel,oil,water,breaks,lights ect, it is in the user manual.

Big Al

Edited by Big Al

Yes you need to depress the GCP 6 times before the start of the days driving this is the same in the ferret and dingo it is part of the FIRST Parade Fuel,oil,water,breaks,lights ect, it is in the user manual.

Big Al

How far down does the gear change pedal go before hitting the spring when you select each gear? This can give you an idea of how the adjustment is. I find the adjusters often dont work, especially if the vehicle is not used much. Neutral should be a lot lower before you hit the spring, typically half way down.

• 3 weeks later...

Big Al

Engine running or not?

Cheers,

Monty.

• 3 weeks later...
yes somewhere there are pictures...

she isn't working in second, have done the brake band pumping thing, I can only assume the brake bands are buggered...or she isnt adjusting...any ideas on what to do next...

Eish Paulo, you made me search high and low for those photos :??? but did find them eventually!

Also while searching for your pics, I saw a post with a Microsoft Word attachment. I did not know that it could be done, so will post the (incomplete) register on the Saracen gallery thread.

As to the brake bands, there are a couple of threads on here about it, otherwise you will have to wait for Richard to pick up on this (poor Richard, but I have yet to hear him complain!)

As to the brake bands, there are a couple of threads on here about it, otherwise you will have to wait for Richard to pick up on this (poor Richard, but I have yet to hear him complain!)

Thanks Montie :wave:

Paul, you will have to remove seat and floor to access the pressed steel cover plate on top of the gearbox. The condition of bands can then be checked and also operate the gear in question and watch to see if the auto adjuster ratchet is touching the square head bolt on the band. If not touching then this is why that gear is not self adjusting.

Richard

Paul,

For me, Richard is the undisputed boffin with the vehicles as has just been displayed! Hopefully it is only something minor!

Regarding uploading of the register, the upload limit is just under 400kB whereas the register is around 1,32MB. Sorry, so no upload there!

Paul,

For me, Richard is the undisputed boffin with the vehicles as has just been displayed! Hopefully it is only something minor!

Regarding uploading of the register, the upload limit is just under 400kB whereas the register is around 1,32MB. Sorry, so no upload there!

yes, Richard certainly does know alot about these sometimes recalcitrant old beasts!, he's put me on the right track a couple of times or so now, too...all hail to Richard!:-D

Thanks Lee, mail sent accompanied by a request.

Lee,

I could properly identify 7 Saracens and added their pics to the register, some of which the numbers were not even listed!

There are a quite a few however that I could not be sure of the numbers. Is there any way you could post the pics for inclusion in the registry? ( I am assuming that you have got access to it, of course!)

Thanks in advance!