Hello from Poland - not the usual Poland but the Eastern, Podkarpacie Region.

Hello People, Firstly thanks for the welcome messages, I am retired early (54) and live in Poland, for the reason that the prices here are like UK in the 1960,s and my wife and I have bought a smallholding on a hill in similar country to the cotswolds with views similar to the Cotswolds, which would have cost £3/4 of a Million in the Cotswolds, I,m not going to tell you what it cost me, but last time it was sold 4 years ago it was less than one of those cheap japanese mini cars. I have two houses a barn and 6 Acres of field paddock and deciduous woods. It is a bit primitive here with men muck spreading by hand from the back of a horse drawn cart and it is common to see a man in 'harness' pulling a single furrow plough with his son guiding it!!!!! 1920,s or maybe earlier style! Their favourite food is pork but beef can be had in the supermarket, suffice to say that a piece of good quality meat costing £7/8 in UK costs £2 here....except I can,t get Lamb for love nor money and it,s my meat of choice!!! I was in the British Army from 1972 to 1987 and drove all sorts from Bedford RLs to Albion WD 10 Tonner (yep still had one at 10 Reg RCT in 1975 on loan to us) Commer Q4,s MK,s and Scammel Crusaders with a sprinkling of others in between, if we had it and I could get a drive of it, I tried. I even got a short go in the Scammel Contructor (which is how I found this forum - see my next post!) I have owned all sorts of Landrovers, but now own a Unimog 1300L and a Pinzgauer 710K neither British but both reknowned for their off road capabilities which I need around here, (this place is a 'Greenlaning' mecca) All the military vehicles I see around here are Polish Army 'Star' (now owned by MAN) trucks, usually with drawbar, a smattering of Gaz 66,s in private hands and the odd 'Tarpan Honker' (their Landrover) but I am way off the main roads and the military just don,t exercise around here. My dream Fleet would be: Tatra Kolos, AEC Militant Mk3 recovery, Foden FH70 Limber, Scammel Constructor (tin back as used by the RAF and PSA) Don,t want much do I. ( I,m an MVT member)

Edited by Dreadnought

Welcome Dreadnaught.....

I am ex 10 Regt too, 1 Squadron. I was with them when they were at Colchester in the late 90's. This was the best Regiment I served with.

Hope your having a nice retirement?

All the best from a fellow 10 Regt mucker!:D

Sorry Loggydriver, I was from just up the road at Lippstadt (22 Signal Regiment), but I used to hang around with the RCT drivers who were attached and we were always borrowing tennys from 10 regt, until they got their nice new Milly Mk3s then we got fobbed off with the old millys and the Albion Petrol Powered 10 Ton 3 way tipper!!! it was so slow 30MPH flat out, that it had to go free runner on exercise and start off a day before anybody else, plus half of its packed benz was for itself, I think it did about 2MPG! I knew a chap called Vince Rollock in Juniors who was an RCT Boxer...I met him again at 10 reg...he was polishing that nice 'silver' dustbin they kept in the guardroom!!!!. Ahhhhhh.....Mogmanner....now where do I know you from???...my Mog is going well..(now I,ve got Michelin Power CL,s on it - it was an embarrassment to be sat there on a track with diff locks in and all wheels churning and have a Polski Fiat 600 drive past me through the clay that was stopping me going anywhere!!!!)

Hi Dreadnought, you really must be in the middle of nowhere, even in the late 1960s many Polish farmers were smoking about in Ursus single cylinder tractors with about 5 huge explosions per kilometer:shocked: I assume Podkarpacie means close to the Karpaty mountains?

Radiomike7, there are some tractors (lots of really) but still so many horses that you see at least one horse and cart ('Vuz') every day, often loads up with several tons of wood. The tractors are mostly Ursus and mostly 2/3 cylinder diesels (all fitted for air braked trailers) There are some 4 cyl tractors but they are in the minority and if you have a 4 cyl you are like a Lord or a Duke or something!!!!! Yes the Karpaty are the bits of the carpathians that stick out into poland, it,s all nice and hilly round here....the laning and off roading (even logging trails if you are a sucker for deeeep! mud) are superb, this place is an undiscovered secret and long may it stay so! (I like having all these lanes to myself)