fluid coupling thumping

markbg

hi went out on the fox and its running well now - the coupling was 4 litres down so no wonder i had power problems now that its all working ivenoticed at idle that theres a rhythmic thumping like metal on metal when the fluid coupling is turning - not sure whats causing this but it seems to drive really well so is there a problem or is this normal?

as a side note i fillwd the gearbox up as well but couldnt find and dipstick for the transfer box which according to rhe manual is below the gearbox dipstick? i think the transfer box and gearbix fillers are one and the same - is this correct?

cheers

mark

Edited by markbg

hi went out on the fox and its running well now - the coupling was 4 litres down so no wonder i had power problems now that its all working ivenoticed at idle that theres a rhythmic thumping like metal on metal when the fluid coupling is turning - not sure whats causing this but it seems to drive really well so is there a problem or is this normal?

Mark,

If you had to put 4 litres in the flywheel, then it was practically empty, so if driven with low oil level, the heat will expand the driven member (impellor), enough to sieze in the flywheel. I have seen it on a Saracen, so perhaps this has happened and impellor is distorted or metal transfer to flywheel rim is touching the impellor............or one of the bearings in the flywheel is worn or has a broken cage.

hi i bought it from some guys in plymouth - it was adverised on milweb and was in good condition but its evident that they had little clue as to what they were doing e.g. rhe steering was dry and after i bled the steering on advice from this forum it wasall fixed so its likely they were not looking after things properly - its just a bit weird as i never heard this banging before so either it was last run i did or things are running better so ive started to hear this noise - thw coupling is spinnung well and the power is now all ok

i would assume if yheres alot of damage things would not be running so well?

I'd go back and check the flywheel. Did you replace the washer on the filler plug with a new one? Perhaps you fitted a thicker one and the plug is catching on the gearbox? If you can get someone to turn the engine over while watching the hole that you access the filler plug through, you might be able to track down the noise.

It seems anything which is difficult to maintain usually doesn't get looked after properly by collectors. This isn't the first Fox that's not had any fluid in the steering, but it's better than the one Lee had to Fix, I don't think that one even had a belt fitted!

Chris

but it's better than the one Lee had to Fix, I don't think that one even had a belt fitted!

Chris

& that one didn't still isn't 100%, the owner told me he bought it from B.E.Boys as fully restored, he told them he wanted it 100% as he didn't want to carry out any work on it & he has limited mechanical knowledge.. problems found straight away..

When I first looked at it the I asked the owner to open the engine decks, he couldn't as the turret wouldn't traverse, on inspection the traverse gearbox was seized solid with rust, the dealers had removed it to fit the engine & then refitted it in the same condition, bit like buying a car with the bonnet welded shut.

No power steering belt fitted & the power steering didn't have a drop of oil in it, the reservoir was bone dry, bodged fan coupling, engine not running properly, caught fire on it's first outing down the motorway, blew the exhaust in half in the arena at Beltring.

Other electrical problems & gearbox well out of adjustment... not bad for a top dollar MV:nut:

I'll have another look tonight - it does sound like its catching on something as its rhythmic and a metal banging sound - I'll try and avoid thinking about melting impellers for the moment :shocked:

I have obviously opened up a plug and selaed it shut with the current washer (Dowty washers are on the way but not here yet) so I think first point of suspicion is me and filling up the thing - seems likely Ive done something as it only happened after I filled up the flywheel - I know the bolt was back on tight but I may have bent the metal near the filler plug hole to align the plug so IM hopong its just that - the flywheel is running very smooth though with no signs of vibration so heres hoping it something simple...

Indeed Lee wouldnt mind someone elses oppinion ;)

I can remember hear this kind of banging noise before, after a fluid flywheel repair the REME fitter from the Brigade FRT had put 2 wahers on the fill plug for some daft reason.

Chris has suggested the same although he stopped short of calling me daft :) its got to be me - poor Fox I hope he forgives me fir being such a muppet - thanks for the reply I'll be switching on the inspection lamp tonight with unexpected moaning from the wife " it gets more attention than i do!" lol

I have come across a rythimic thumping from a fox before, it turned out to be a tyre with no air in it and a flat spot on the run flat insert. Hard to tell a flat if you have runflats fitted.

hi - its occuring at a standstill so luckily cant be that - I get my new dowty seals today so should be good when I fit them