GMC in the blues...

Movcondude

Hello guys...

I hope someone out there can help me out on this as I am running out of options...

Story is that my 1942 GMC CCKW 352 (VIN #: 49400) seems to have been painted airforce blue as its first colour. Several tell me that it´s a post war colour but unless they have chemicaly removed the original layer this seems to be the original one as the metal seems untouched underneath (No blasting surface nor grids from sanding). So what do you say USAAF or RAF ??? Anything !!!

Thanx...

I think it's very unlikely to be the original colour, this is a fairly early truck and would have normally been painted olive drab at the factory. Since it's also a 352 I would have expected it to be issued to a FA regt as I'm sure you'll be aware they were designed as a gun tractor for the 105mm How.

Hi,Movoondude, and welcome to the Friendly Forum,

You clearly have an interesting conundrum which your new mates on HMVF will do their best to solve. Why not post up some pix of your truck?

In the meantime please use the introductions and welcomes board to say hello to the gang.

Mark

Moderators team.

It would have been OD off the production line.

I've seen many vehicles painted blue ( or flightline yellow) post war, but virtually everything around the time yours was produced would be OD.

The only real variations would have been Marine Corps green, but even that would only have been put on trucks built specially for the Corps, like the IH trucks.

Gordon

Thanks Degsy Gordon and Mark - Yes i will ofcause introudce my self. You are probably both right - it probably went to a FA unit in the states. I know some were sendt to UK and used where they were needed during vthe Lend lease deal. If they have cleaned it all that down before painting it blue they have done a very very good job as it is so very close to the metal as it can posible be unless ofcause they used blue primer :-D

• 9 months later...

My truck has the blue as well and upon investigating i was informed that the first coat on later trucks was Blue wich exsplains why its there before the od? I have talked with people state side on forums here,maybe i could find the thread and post it?

I love a good mystery:cool2:

Just a theory (and possibly a stupid one), is there any way the truck could have had a chassis replacement during it's early post war service life?

Without Red Oxide Primer being the first coat of paint (check places like the brake backing plate) I would have to agree that its a repaint. Some places to check would be areas line the inside of doors and the window channels, small concealed areas that would be a bugger to strip to bare metal or where two painted parts are mated.

I have the early TM that covers that truck.. I will look up to see what the body was. Some trucks did leave the factory body-less, but if there is a body style on the frame rail with the SN then I would go with that.

The only Army Air Corps vehicles that might fit that color scheme would be the taxi vehicles that are painted bright colors (checkerboard is popular).. in 1942 the Air Corps was still very much OD, and used standard Army vehicles.

As far as if its a replacement frame, you would have to match up the frame SN rage with a type of truck and start seeing what matches. Is the engine the right model? Do the fenders have the additional supports or not? Is the grill Symmetrical? etc.

I have some pictures of my truck, I just did a complete brake restore and painted all backing plates and drums the hubs and drums were blue.. It does appear to have been repainted Drab Green Again MY trucks SN numbers said she was delivered as a bedless chassis to the Army It has the fuel tank mounting holes of the long narrow tank like a shop van or compressor truck?

What do you fellas think?

Brad

data tag 44.jpg

SPLIT AXLE 1.jpg

1944 open cab blues 2.jpg

1944 open cab blues 3.jpg

Edited by bradcckw
more info

I am still going to lean towards a post war repaint.

Data plates look like they are held in with pop rivets. If that's the case then at some point they were removed... possibly the entire truck was chemically stripped (dipped) and repainted to a customers color of choice.

When I got my CCKW it was (in order top layer to bottom) red, yellow, silver, OD. Even in the cab under the driver seat has that same color patters.. so when they repaint them, its not a cheap $200 MAACO weekend special.