Panhard

ryanww2

Hi could someone tell me what period this was used and by who also what model it is.

there is pictures of them in my merry christmas thread. I can only guess the 60's but the piccies I have are in Malaysia

Panhard AML A/Cs were developed in the 1950s and entered service in 1960 with various turret designs and weapons. Still around but alot have been scrapped in the last decade.

The pre war Panhard is the AMD 178 which had a 25mm gun and riveted structure and was quite advanced for its day surviving as a design into Post War Colonial service with a new turret and 47mm gun.

Hi could someone tell me what period this was used and by who also what model it is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26867[/ATTACH]

Panhard AML-245, which appeared in the following guises -

H60-7 turret (60mm BL mortar + 2x 7.62mm MG)

H60-12 turret (60mm BL mortar + 12.7mm HMG)

H60-20 turret (60mm BL mortar + 20mm DTAT cannon)

HS30 turret (30mm Hispano-Suiza cannon)

NA2 turret (Nord Aviation ATGW turret for various missiles)

F90F1 turret (somewhat larger with a 90mm main gun)

There was also an air-defence version with 2x30mm cannon. Later the BL mortar was deleted from the H60-20 version and it became known as the AML20. Some were fitted with ENTAC ATGW mounted on the rear of the turret.

The chassis was also the basis for the Panhard M3 APCs.

Panhard AML-245, which appeared in the following guises -

H60-7 turret (60mm BL mortar + 2x 7.62mm MG)

H60-12 turret (60mm BL mortar + 12.7mm HMG)

H60-20 turret (60mm BL mortar + 20mm DTAT cannon)

HS30 turret (30mm Hispano-Suiza cannon)

NA2 turret (Nord Aviation ATGW turret for various missiles)

F90F1 turret (somewhat larger with a 90mm main gun)

There was also an air-defence version with 2x30mm cannon. Later the BL mortar was deleted from the H60-20 version and it became known as the AML20. Some were fitted with ENTAC ATGW mounted on the rear of the turret.

The chassis was also the basis for the Panhard M3 APCs.

also built in South Africa as the Eland (I think they are slightly larger)

Mark

also built in South Africa as the Eland (I think they are slightly larger)

Mark

Trust me to forget the Eland!

Actually, Mark, they were a licence build (to overcome the UN arms embargo, which the French, as usual, ignored!), with eventually some updates and improvements. The AML/M3 series was widely exported to the Middle East and Africa, especially to Francophone countries.

dont know much about these panhard but this one appears at most military vehicle shows in ireland its a x irish army now privately owned and is very well maintained...

That's the M3 APC, built on the same chassis. I think that the Irish Army were the only European users of this type. (I don't think that the French used them - only the AML)

I think Portugal and Spain (marines) used M3s in the 1980s, whether it was trials or full service I don't know.

Steve

I can't remember them in use by these countries, although Portugal did have (and still has some preserved) Panhard EBR-ETT in its inventory. That was the APC version of the EBR-75 armoured car - the one with two driving positions and the steel wheels in the middle that were dropped down to enhance cross-country capability.

schliesser92

Yes I'm aware of Portugal being the sole user of the EBR ETT, as I said I don't know if M3 was used in full service in Portugal and Spain, Spain in particular has a diverse military forces including Gardia Civil and Spanish Morocian "foreign legion". Bosnia has also received some M3 support vehicles -Aumbulance,command and recovery from an unnamed Mid East benefactor in the last few years.

Steve

schliesser92

Yes I'm aware of Portugal being the sole user of the EBR ETT, as I said I don't know if M3 was used in full service in Portugal and Spain, Spain in particular has a diverse military forces including Gardia Civil and Spanish Morocian "foreign legion". Bosnia has also received some M3 support vehicles -Aumbulance,command and recovery from an unnamed Mid East benefactor in the last few years.

Steve

I suppose several countries probably tried them out. I suspect that the unnamed benefactor was probably the UAE - quite a few arab countries had some of these vehicles. Incidentally, the Gendarmerie National has a nicely preserved AML-245 with H60-7 turret (the original version) somewhere.

The picture of the vehicle at Kildare has sparked a notion I have had for a long time, are not the sand channels on the front of the Panhards the same as those originally fitted to Ferrets?

Anyone got a couple of sets kicking around for sale?

R

Edited by robin craig

The picture of the vehicle at Kildare has sparked a notion I have had for a long time, are not the sand channels on the front of the Panhards the same as thos originally fitted to Ferrets?

They look the same because the French copied them from those on Ferrets that they had in service. I had a stack of French ones about 15 years ago, all sold quickly, if I recollect.

• 7 months later...

Hiya - yep the original pictures is the Panhard aml from the BE Boys collection.

This Panhard is now in my ownership! It is actually the body of a AML90 and the turret dropped on (an H60 turret). The body seems to have some history from an arab country (by some script I found on it) and the turret of from spain.

Its in this current state...

Any one know of any other owners? I need to chat about spares!!

Panhard_Aml_60_019.jpg

• 1 year later...