Victory Show Back On

Just received this through facebook

Received from Steve Pepper

We regret to inform you that the Victory Show 2010 at Cosby in Leicestershire has been CANCELLED. As the organiser I would like to thank all of you who have supported our show over the years, without you all there would have been no show... at all. I applogise for any dissappointment or inconvenience caused. Warm regards

Steve Pepper

Edited by Marmite!!
quote tags

Taken from the local paper The Leicester Mercury

Victory Show is cancelled

A popular Second World War festival featuring battle re-enactments, aviation displays and 1940s military gear has been cancelled.

The Victory Show, held on a 60-acre site in Cosby, will now "cease to exist" according to organiser Steve Pepper.

He said there were a number of reasons why the show, which attracted more than 10,000 people last year, was being scrapped.

"It takes a long time to plan and takes a lot out of you. I have a young family and the business on the farm," said Mr Pepper, who hosts the event on his farm, in Croft Road.

"It was going to be a one-off but we've done five years. It's getting bigger and bigger and costs more each year. People just don't have the money and we can't keep asking the same people for help.

"It's taking over more of my farm and my business so we decided to have a rest. The event is now going to cease to exist."

The news is likely to upset military buffs and Second World War historians who would have been looking forward to the show, scheduled to have taken place on September 11 and 12.

Mr Pepper said: "There will be a lot of people who are disappointed but it's just one of those things. We had one good year last year but we had to cancel the year before due to flooding so we've had our ups and downs. But isn't it nice to finish on an up?

"We had 10,000 people there last year and it was a very successful event. It's a shame it's gone but we decided as a family and as a committee it was time to call it a day."

Chairman of the Broughton Astley Royal British Legion John Bligh said: "It's an event that attracts a lot of people.

"It's a shame because it puts Leicestershire on the map. I know people who have been in the past and they say it's an extremely entertaining affair."

Last year's show raised more than £12,000 for a number of charities, including Loros. The Groby Road hospice had planned to stage its grand raffle at the event but is now looking for another venue.

Loros senior fund-raiser Adrian Walker said: "It is such a shame that a large successful event will not be able to go ahead this year.

"The Victory Show has been one of the best re-enactment shows I have ever visited and Leicestershire will have lost a top-class event.

"Last year £6,000 was donated to Loros from the show.

" I would like to thank everyone, particularly the Pepper family whose land was used."

• 3 months later...