For the Pratchett fans amongst us

ArtistsRifles

Sky, in May, are showing their latest adaptation of the Terry Pratchett "Disc World" series of novels . This one is "Going Postal" about the trials and tribulations of Moist Von Lipwig as Postmaster of the Ankh-Morpok Postal System - complete with Golden Suit and Winged hat....

And don't forget the Golems!!!

Trailer is here: http://sky1.sky.com/Going-Postal-new-trailer?DCMP=EMC-Newsletter_S1

Cast to date:

Richard Coyle as Moist Von Lipwig

David Suchet as Reacher Gilt

Charles Dance as Lord Vetinari

Claire Foy as Adora Belle Dearheart

Steve Pemberton as Drumknott

Andrew Sachs as Groat

Ian Bonar as Stanley

Timothy West as Ridcully

Tamsin Greig as Miss Cripslock.

A pity they couldn't have stuck with Jeremy Irons for the Patrician - his interpretation was pretty good in The Colour of Magic although I've always pictured Alan Rickman since I first came across the character . Obviously TP had Stephen Briggs in mind and he is Vetinari and quite scary when you meet him in person .:eek:

I met Terry Pratchett last year when he visited Hayling Island to promote his new book. He did signings at the largest and smallest bookshops in UK (obviously we have the smallest on Hayling!) my mum got the very first published book!!!!!!!!. He is a very nice chap

Why they have David Jason in them I do not know. He is totally unlike Albert or Rincewind! I don't like the TV or film versions. The pictures are must better when formed from the words of Terry!

Also with PC, how are they going to get round Adora Belle smoking like a chimmney? It is a central part of the carechter in Going Postal and Making Money?

Why they have David Jason in them I do not know. He is totally unlike Albert or Rincewind! I don't like the TV or film versions. The pictures are must better when formed from the words of Terry!

Also with PC, how are they going to get round Adora Belle smoking like a chimmney? It is a central part of the carechter in Going Postal and Making Money?

Have you watched the trailer??? :-D

didn't know there was one mate. Don't have Sky. I did get the DVD of Hogfather, but I'd rather the books anytime. discworld is Fantasy. So why watch Sky's Fanatsy when I can have my own?

I've followed the series since Colour Magic was first published. It was broadcast on Radio 4 in Woman's Hour book of the week. I heard one excert, and was hooked!

Er just watched trailer. So Question One, Where's the Gold Suit? :confused: Angua never attacks him in the book. The clothing bears no resembalance to the styles Terry Pratchett imagines, and are seen in the pictures of Paul Kidby. Another reason for me not getting Sky.

I don't know if the books have been translated into Dutch. He is probably Britian's best selling Authour.

Discworld is flat and caried through space on the back of Four elephants, Berilia, Tubul, Great T'Phon and Jerakeen, which stand on the back of the Great A'Tuin, a turtle .Apperars they have.

Edited by Tony B

Never heard about Pratchett before (hey, I am Dutch).

Strange programme though. :nut:

Gentlemen you mission for War and Peace is to instruct the Dutch contingent into the mysteries of the Disc World in general and Ankh-Morpork, Unseen University, the City Watch and the Patrician in particular

This forum will self-destruct 10 seconds after you finish reading this,

So whose your favourite carechter. I have a soft spot for Sam Vimes. Mind you a night at the Brocken Drum with the Librian could be fun!

got to be Mustrum Ridcully, but whats your favourite book? Mine's Soul Music,

Mark

I'd be interested as to how well they translate into Dutch.

See here

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#translations

(Although judging by the Dutch people I've spoken to, reading the English version wouldn't be too much of a problem)

I love to translate songs and quotes in Dutch, most of the time sounds utterly stupid. Especially when translating literally, in dialect or using synonyms...or worse.

"Ik wit wa gij denkt, hek 5 of 6 keer geschôte...vulde oe eige gelukkig tuig?"

It gets worse in German...

Lessons in Dutch available at Beltring, bring Cola and assorted Nuts...