Seen an air cleaner like this before?

NickAbbott

Has anyone else got an air cleaner/filter like this fitted to anything? I'd be keen to know what the element should be like, and what the top should be like, as both are missing from mine.

The brass plate on the top states "Element of air cleaner to be compressed and expanded each morning before starting the engine until dust ceases to be ejected"

This particular one was fitted to my Matador (petrol engined), so probably dates from about 1940.

filter1..jpg

filter2..jpg

The brass plate on the top states "Element of air cleaner to be compressed and expanded each morning before starting the engine until dust ceases to be ejected"

The element is a felt bellows type, they were a standard WD filter on vehicles in early part of war until replaced by oil bath types replaced, think they were made by Vokes.

Hello Mate,

Richards correct as usual. These were fitted to most early british vehicles, the filter is the same just the fittings and pipes varied from vehicle to vehicle. And are rarer than hens teeth!! There are some pictures, on here, of them complete,

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?9957-early-Mw-s-how-many-left/page7

Your missing the felt bellows, a tubular concertina of felt material, and the metal disc the same diameter as the tube that fastens to the end of the felt. I have some pictures at home. I know of a firm remaking the felt part but i'm not sure they have the correct pattern.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?15114-Volkes-bellows-air-cleaner-Replacement-felt.&highlight=volkes

If you put a small cone filter inside what you have there you'll get the same result, depends how picky you are.

Edited by rippo

Thanks for the responses - it's so much easier to find out about something when you know what it is!

Would anyone have, or be able to take any close up pictures of the lid, as it's missing from my air filter, and it looks quite complex to remake.

Thanks

Thanks for the photo Mike, I've not seen a shot of an early chassis like this, all the pictures I've seen have been of the later ones, with the oil bath filter - which book/publication is this picture from?

The filter is mounted differently on my Matador to the one in the picture, it's on the front bulkhead, where the standard fuel filter is normally mounted, and obscuring where the near side cab vent would normally be, as the vent is plated over due to the autovac on the outside.

filter..JPG

It is from an early Matador users Handbook, So early in fact that the name Matador had not yet been adopted for the model.. The Manual keeps making reference to the AEC ForWarD Chassis, and there is a pasted in correction sheet saying "for AEC ForWarD chassis, please read F.W.D. Matador." See legend below Photograph!

Mnanual is for very early Matador with 6.25 Diffs, Rzeppa joint front axle, and Air over Hydraulic Brakes. (see brake fluid reservoir on Squab, to left of Fuel oil filter.). Note short exhaust stub from Silencer. Also has only the small combined ,one shot brake application and full reservoir. With no additional tanks, but with no brake chambers to fill on the tractor, only the Servo, it wouldn't have needed as much air as a fully airbraked Matador.

Edited by antarmike

Mike, that sounds like the users manual that covers my Matador (mostly) - I've got a copy of a later one, from 1943, but there are differences. I do have an AEC publication "Simple Driving and Maintenance Instruction for Motor Vehicles" which has the same stuck in explanation about Matador being the new name for vehicles refered to as ForWarD - it also covers the AEC Marshall, and is dated March, 1940, it's only 20 pages, but is a nice little booklet.

Do you have all of the book scanned, as I'd be very interested in getting a copy of the booklet, if that's possible.

fwd..jpg

Mike, that sounds like the users manual that covers my Matador (mostly) - I've got a copy of a later one, from 1943, but there are differences. I do have an AEC publication "Simple Driving and Maintenance Instruction for Motor Vehicles" which has the same stuck in explanation about Matador being the new name for vehicles refered to as ForWarD - it also covers the AEC Marshall, and is dated March, 1940, it's only 20 pages, but is a nice little booklet.

Do you have all of the book scanned, as I'd be very interested in getting a copy of the booklet, if that's possible.

NO I don't have it scanned, but I will put up some pages on here soon, And some from other manuals , including pages from Air Publications, on Matador Etherlet starting, missing from most manuals.

Edited by antarmike