yellow Landrover 90

chevpol

Morning all :wave:

happy easter to you, hope you havnt eaten all your eggs yet?

I have a question for the collective brain cell, how many Landrover 90's were painted in yellow (yes, yellow) for use on RAF gliding school airfields? I have seen a colour piccy of one in the lightweight book in the background next to a yellow lightweight.

All the best

Mark :cool:

thanks for the answers, this is the reason I am asking, hopefully on my drive by end or week!!!

To me, that looks like "airfield yellow", am awaiting the sellers reply to my request to fetch it on friday, also asked for mil reg.

!BojDs!gCGk~$(KGrH.jpg

!BojDuvg!Wk~$(KGr

Looks like a nice one Mark . Good luck with it .

Totally unconnected and irrelevant I know but my Snow Trac was also airfield yellow whilst in service , unfortunately I don't have any pics of it then but i hope to put it back into that colour scheme at some time .

Regs for RAF vehicle colours were promulgated in various ways by several Depts. With different schemes running concurrently. During the 1960s there was a program to paint all airfield use vehicles & GSE yellow, but before completion Strike Command and RAF Germany went to IRR Matt green with a 4" painted yellow band (soon replaced by removable yellow tape) airfields belonging to other Commands continued the Yellow program for several years. Today yellow is again the preferred colour for airfield use vehicles.

Concurrently Gliding Schools have had seperate rules published by the OPs Branch (Air Traffic Contol) which throughout have required yellow vehicles; Turning to your Landie 90. In the early 1990s at Leuchars we acted as the parent unit for non glider engineering to the GSs at Arbroath & Kirknewton, they received new 90s and not only did we have to paint them Golden yellow from BSC 241 green, but we had to put additional clear panels in the canvas tilts; One each side and one in the rear flap, The memory is straining but I think we also put one in the sloping portion above the driver + front pax.

Certainly up to 2004 the yellow was BSC 356 Golden Yellow. As an aside in case you come accross any BSC numbers, for many years BSC 241 was erroneously numbered 641. This is often a source of confusion to restorers. I note various model paint outlets stock both 641 & 241 Mnnn one and the same !!!

TED

The first yellow vehicle I drove was at Scampton in 1968 a good old Series 2 88"swb with canvas top;

Edited by ted angus

This is my mate Mark Cooks Land Rover 90, also a Yellow RAF version he bought from Withams. I forget where it was used but he does have the history for it. It's in very good condition and the pictures are when we went up to look at it. I think he is coming to War and peace so you should be able to see it there.

Mobile Phone Pict&.JPG

Mobile Phone Pict&.JPG

Mobile Phone Pict&.JPG

This is my mate Mark Cooks Land Rover 90, also a Yellow RAF version he bought from Withams. I forget where it was used but he does have the history for it. It's in very good condition and the pictures are when we went up to look at it. I think he is coming to War and peace so you should be able to see it there.

thats a nice looking 90, we will need a hard top like that one for ours because the plan is to go camping with it in August instead of using the car (truth is, didnt want to put a towbar on my car and buy a trailer, but with the 90, I can use sankey!!Lazy? Moi, Non!!!!!!)

Wont be at W&P, to near the family hols this time!!!!

TTFN

Mark

You gonna keep the yellow scheme, Mark? Interesting. Something different...

MB

will be keeping the yellow, will be easier to find at shows me thinks!!!!!!!

I can see it now, "dad, why is that landrover yellow?" "dunno son, should be green, never were yellow landrovers in the raf!!!"

or "when you going to paint it from its civy colour to a army colour!

happy times ahead!!!

Mark

will be keeping the yellow, will be easier to find at shows me thinks!!!!!!!

I can see it now, "dad, why is that landrover yellow?" "dunno son, should be green, never were yellow landrovers in the raf!!!"

or "when you going to paint it from its civy colour to a army colour!

happy times ahead!!!

Mark

Easier to find in Freshco's Car Park too!

Nice one, Mark. Look forward to seeing her on the circuit. Easy to spot. Arthur will be impressed.

M :D

your right about it being easier to spot, stood out on the motorway service station car park!!! Hope nobody thinks it ex AA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark