Correct color for Humber Scout engine and update!!!!

lssah2025

UPDATE: My mech just got the head back on the Humber, correct now and ready (with gaskets supplied from IVOR. :D) Of note when he reexamined the engine today, one intake valve showed light damage, why not sure, and I don't know how it will affect it running till next Monday. It may have hit the head at one time, lightly, as if the engine may have been out of time. It should not present a problem though (fingers crossed.) The radiator and gas tank are out to be fixed The radiator and mount are a mess, but can be re-used for JB. After that, we find a new one, one problem, and I have a photo of the correct radiator, is that its very thick, and this ones not. So, finding a thick one will be needed later.

QUESTION: I am not 100% sure on the engine color, several photos show a dark green or olive color, only one shows a black color, none shows a dark gray as in mine.

The bad news is there are few colors in high temp paint. We did find a Ford Engine Darkgreen, but its dark, no other green colors in high temp and you must have high temp.

So, if you can try and guess the color, as we have it now, you have two choices based on whats out there. Ford light gray as is mine, or ford darkgreen. Of course black as well. We cannot have high temp paint mixed in special colors. I will keep you informed next week to progress.

SO what do you guys think on the color choice? light gray, dark green or black? Also should the ancillaries be painted as well to match the engine?

PICS of engine color: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16062-Humber-Scout-Paint-Job/page3

Edited by lssah2025

Thanks for all the replys and advice, but does anyone know of the color? Or should I just paint it the offwhite that is in the engine compartment and some of the ancillaries black? Also sent a email to Bovington for a possible answer..

Cheers,

Lance

Edited by lssah2025

Re engine colour, our Humber's engine was a very similar grey to yours. Like others have said, ther's no need to go the high temperature route. I've always used epoxy enamel on engines and have never had any problems, the important thing is that the components to be painted are totally clean, paint will not adhere to grease :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, after some more engine work, here are some updated pics. New fuel line installed correctly to carb, new carb and gasket set, head honed, repainted and placed back on with gaskets, found a small crack in exhaust manifold, will have to take off and weld, still waiting for the fuel tank to be boiled out and resealed, then the rest of the fuel lines will be redone, it was a p.poor job of soldering on the previous fuel lines, they fell apart while taking them off, lucky I didn't have a engine fire, also the electrical wiring is p.poor, going to replace all of it with new wiring and not have wires rigged up and poorly spliced...:shocked:. Also found out there is a butt load of sludge in the bottom of the engine, going to take off the oil pan after a event coming up and try to get it out with a good cleaning, might have to break down the engine and redo it all...nice restoration........ slowly restoring it after its 2 year previous restoration, haha..... starter and generator off for a rebuild to....

pencil.png

pencil.png

IMG_1063..jpg

IMG_1061..jpg

IMG_1062..jpg

IMG_1060..jpg

Edited by lssah2025

• 3 weeks later...

Update, got the Humber running and purred like a kitten :D, went in the next day and found that it would not crank over,,,tick tick tick, found that there was antifreeze coming out again and that there were numerous cracks in the block after running the Humber:-(, the antifreeze level was only at half and when you fill it up it leaks into the block....ahhhhh. So the engine is coming out and going to get repaired (good news is it can be welded) then the new pistons and rings will be put back in. At that time the engine will get a new coat of paint, manifold will be welded and cleaned up.

Fuel tank was boiled out and resealed all new fuels lines installed.

Generator was rebuilt

Starter was rebuilt

Still have to redo the lines for the 2nd oil filter (I think that is what it is)

Well after this It should be roaring and ready to go again......

Well it was restored, to someones condition :-D... I would rather know that it will run, stop, and start whenever I want it to. The wiring is also going to be redone with proper cloth wiring, also I am going to take off the current engine wiring harness (and not use the special spark plugs or current wires).

found that there was antifreeze coming out again and that there were numerous cracks in the block after running the Humber:-(, the antifreeze level was only at half and when you fill it up it leaks into the block....ahhhhh. So the engine is coming out and going to get repaired (good news is it can be welded) then the new pistons and rings will be put back in. .

I know someone who has a recently rebuilt short engine ( ie. less ancillaries), PM me if you are interested.

UPDATE....Does anyone have any details on the 2 speed control box for a Humber Scout, mine is missing and I am trying to rig my carb up, and without it it has to be mounted a different way and rigged. Or better yet, does anyone have one for sale?