Is it possible that Land Rover had a tooling failure on production line?

Rover8FFR

I can just about remember when I was taught at school how to create a large gircular hole in wood and metal without a massive hole punch or circular cutter.

You all know! When we drilled lots of holes around the circumference and then used a saw to cut through the holes.

I noticed this more basic engineering method on the radiator panel of my series 2a FFR as per the attached image.

As you can see the RHS is obviously a pressed out tooling, but the LHS has more of a DIY look about it. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is like this. I don't believe this to be a single headlighted Land Rover with a home made headlight aperture. But you never now.

If this was done on the production line then a sense of urgency would have suggested such an intervention.

Thoughts anyone :undecided:

front grille.jpe

Could they have changed bulb supplier and discovered the pressed hole wasn't quite big enough? If they made a big pile of plates that weren't quite right it may have been cheaper / faster to modify them to fit rather than scrap them.

Stone

Are both holes the same overall diameter?

Did you get it with mismatched head lights or none.

It looks like somebody has had to make one larger. possibly at a later date to fit a replacement headlight.

I don't know about the series 2 but the military and civil spec headlight bowl are different because the way the lights mount.

Mike

A PO has removed both the F700 headlamps and it seems fitted a civvy type.

The apertures & holes should be like this :-

IMG_1842.jpg

Probably the original would have been corroded and the PO has replaced the panel.

There were 3 qty. panels used on mil. 2A

330950 (some Rover 10 & 11)

336466 - Suffix G onwards

336366 FFR (toastrack/ rectifier)

Thanks everyone, but I don't understand why one is properly pressed out and the other different.

The PO did fit standard headlights and the FV ones were missing! However I have bought proper military light bezels etc and new bowls. Lined them up and they align with all fixing locations.

They are the same diameter, but is appears on is a bastardised solution against a machined one.

Must have been a fabrication issue surely?

A PO has removed both the F700 headlamps and it seems fitted a civvy type.

The apertures & holes should be like this :-

IMG_1842.jpg

Probably the original would have been corroded and the PO has replaced the panel.

I will have a look for a part number but mine would be the 336366 FFR for the toastrack grille!

Cheers m8y.

I will get some more photos over the coming weekend when I can see things in daylight! Then post on

I know the slam panel is not civi, but the again it is just a plate over the old bonnet catch detail.

What are the subtle differences if any between the toastrack and suffix G panel?

Cheers

I may be missing something, but I took out civilian lights from my 80" and put Military lights straight into the openings without having to modify anything. Everything married up exactly as it was.

To be honest the work doesn't look like Rover/ lan-Rover.

Rover had a known problem with the press tool that formed the series one bulkhead. Some bulkheads are fine, other show wrinkling at various points, as the formers started to pack up and not support the steel poperly. As a stop gap, Rovers went through periods of making Aluminium bulkheads by hand using folders and the like to avoid having to draw any material into deep forms.until the press toll was sorted out and then they reverted to the pressed steel bulkhead.

I have never heard of a problem relating to the front panel though.

I can't say for definite but Land-Rover bodged some things but that looks too bad even for them!

IMG_1842.jpg

Does anyone know where the part numbers might be stamped on the front panel if at all????:-(