displaying vehicles and Drivers Uniforms

I've recently bought a jeep and currently doing it up as a representation of 5th Wiltshires in northern europe.

I don't belong to any reenactment group, but I'd like to dress the part when I take it to shows etc.

So now the silly question. Is it acceptable to wear British army Officer uniform to go with it or would that be frowned upon?

Don't wear medals unless you are entitiled to them! For the purpose of a drama and re-enactment yes. The 1914, Official Secrets Act covers 'persination', that is trying to pass yourself of as an officer when you aren't, so you could be hung. A lot of us wear uniform at shows and events. The problem is VCR act. Unless you are a memeber of a 'recognised re-enactment group with third party liability insurance', you can't buy realistic imation firearms. De-acs though no problem! Confusing isn't it? Before you go the Officer route, bear this in mind, officers were driven, not driver's. A private 's uniform or up to Seargent would be more corect.

I belive the uniforms act of (Cant' remember what year!) covers the wearing of rank you are NOT entitled to.

Also medals & decorations, Qualifications you are NOT entitled to.

Basically, if you havent served & gained Rank. You cannot LEGALY wear anything you did not earn or qualify for.

Stay as a Buck Private with UNIT insignis for the vehicle you are with would be a good defense in Law.

(Also covered by previous members posts)

BUT, if you intend to portray with the intention to mislead by pretending to be a current serving Serviceman/woman. Then this is an Offence.

You WILL encounter many individuals at shows dressed a Generals & Wotnots! Some are harmless, some have dillusions of Granduor!

The Danger here is SOME members of the public will see & Expirience this & the possibility MAY arrise that we are ALL tarred with the same brush!

Technically, this IS illegal per the letter of the Law. But it is commonly NOT enforced!

I personally DO wear uniform at shows, BUT, Only what I have earned & am entitled to.

Para wings are a BIG NO,NO to Ex Airborne Vets who see them not being worn as part of a display for Authenticty. It is indeed not unknown for said Ex Airborne members to have 'Smack' at individuals who wear this HARD WON qualification insignia without having earned it! :-\

Mike

I believe the uniforms act of (Cant' remember what year!) covers the wearing of rank you are NOT entitled to.

Also medals & decorations, Qualifications you are NOT entitled to.

Basically, if you haven't served & gained Rank. You cannot LEGALY wear anything you did not earn or qualify for.

Mike

Wearing of uniforms or portraying a certain unit doesn't seem to worry the British Army, when we took part in the Queens Pageant on Horse-guards in 2007 where we paraded in front of Her Majesty, Maj Watley (Maj.Household Cavalry) insisted we wore DPM's those that didn't have them were provided with them. We were also given Berets & badged up as the Blues & Royals...

Again in 2008 for the TA100 on Horse-guards & down the Mall in the biggest military parade since WW2 in front of Charlie we were asked to wear appropriate uniform...

I believe there is an exemption to the law for wearing rank etc for theatrical use... which I suppose reenacting could fall under

Considering all the surplus stuff out there! Modern kit is never a problem. It is all in the word INTENTION, don't upset PC Plod. MVT does not cover VCR, they are not a re-enactment group. More inmportantly don't upset the vetrans!!!!! They are after all the ones whio did it for real. As for the various Generals :pfrt: There is a 'General Mc Arthur! One of my prized memories is seeing the General given the B8ms rush by a pair of Gendarme's when he got pretention's of granduer.

Wearing of uniforms or portraying a certain unit doesn't seem to worry the British Army, when we took part in the Queens Pageant on Horse-guards in 2007 where we paraded in front of Her Majesty, Maj Watley (Maj.Household Cavalry) insisted we wore DPM's those that didn't have them were provided with them. We were also given Berets & badged up as the Blues & Royals...

Again in 2008 for the TA100 on Horse-guards & down the Mall in the biggest military parade since WW2 in front of Charlie we were asked to wear appropriate uniform...

I believe there is an exemption to the law for wearing rank etc for theatrical use... which I suppose reenacting could fall under

Having worked with the Brigade, I have found they are a Law unto themselves. There is 'Queens Regulations quite clearly state:..... And then the Guards Regiments 'Do thier own thing'!

ANY other Regiments for example. ONLY Commissoned Officers & the RSM wear a sam brown swordbelt. WOII's (Sergeant Majors) wear a Totaly different Pattern waist, sword belt. In the Brigade, WOII's wear a sambrown & are called 'Drill SERGEANTS', NOT, Sergeant Major! (Just One example)

I can see what Mike Whatley was trying to do with the Turnout of all personell wearing DPM combats; CONTUINUITY, the Brigade does have a reputaion for Tidyness, Uniformity,& smartness. Easy to just have everyone looking the same. This does NOT make it legal to attempt to IMPERSONATE current serving personell, OR, wear Rank that your are NOT entitled to!

RE: Exemption of Rank for theatrical use.

If you look closely in some films at senior officers shoulder rank insignia. You may observe that it is incorrect. IE: Badge incorrectly placed on the shoulder straps. (A crown below a 'pip' Etc) This was done DELIBERATELY in some films to circumvent this act.

Mike.

RE: Exemption of Rank for theatrical use.

If you look closely in some films at senior officers shoulder rank insignia. You may observe that it is incorrect. IE: Badge incorrectly placed on the shoulder straps. (A crown below a 'pip' Etc) This was done DELIBERATELY in some films to circumvent this act.

Mike.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?8110-Wearing-of-uniforms-and-rank-insignia post 17

1. This Act may be cited for all purposes as the Uniforms Act 1894.

Easy enough.

2.(1) It shall not be lawful for any person not serving in Her Majesty’s Military Forces to wear without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform: Provided that this enactment shall not prevent any persons from wearing any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play performed in a place duly licensed or authorised for the public performance of stage plays, or in the course of a music hall or circus performance, or in the course of any bona fide military representation.

This last part is OUR specific defence in law as Living History Re-enactors:
"or in the course of any bona fide military representation."

I've recently bought a jeep and currently doing it up as a representation of 5th Wiltshires in northern europe.

I don't belong to any reenactment group, but I'd like to dress the part when I take it to shows etc.

So now the silly question. Is it acceptable to wear British army Officer uniform to go with it or would that be frowned upon?

Hi mate,

As others have already asked, why do you want to 'dress officer', ? is it a personal act of rememberance to someone ? (not being nosey, but at some events you WILL be asked !!)

Again as others have touched upon, which ever rank you dress for, as far as poss, get it right. (there are some good reference books out there,......and a damm good wilts living history group toboot, who I'm sure would all to happy to help in your depiction.)

As someone who does portray brit tommy, wwii, if you want any help, etc, please feel free to pm me.

All the best,

Andy

In Bastogne was a Twat who thought he should portray a US General, waving like he just saved the world....BUT;

He wore a unknown jacket and on his arm a 82nd patch PLUS a overseas cappatch below it!

It really irritated me!!!

In Bastogne was a Twat who thought he should portray a US General, waving like he just saved the world....BUT;

He wore a unknown jacket and on his arm a 82nd patch PLUS a overseas cappatch below it!

It really irritated me!!!

Think this is the BIG problem,........as someone who aside from showing his vehicle, (correctly, I hope. :-)) I also am involved in Living History, where, and I'm certainly not saying I have always got it right,..........originality and profesionalism do need to be employed.

A lot of guys/gals come into this wonderful hobby, on the beack of many things, be it film, (oh gawd) book, or out of a sense of respect to past loved ones,.so a certain amount of learning needs to take part, and in most part, does quite quickly,...........unfortunatly there are always those who couldn't give a dam, which can put us all in a bad light.

TBH, if you have a ww2 vehcile and wear a ww2 uniform, I can't see people thinking that your monty!!

Just make sure what you wear is correct, however, 'correct' is a bag of worms..........

Agreed. Apparently. the Americans were told that if they came across two British Officers dressed the same - they were probably spies!

I wouldn't get so bogged down in the minutiae of the kit that you forget that you're supposed to be enjoying yourself...:cool2: