Taco to Bedford MJ?

YurtMan

Anyone fitted a taco to a Bedford MJ?

Was it digital or analog?

Hoping to get away without having to do this but i may just have to.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Not got the MJ yet but looking to aquire a flatbed version with the Atlas crane.

Cheers

Once you have the tacho fitted it is a simple job to get it calibrated to your truck at for example a Lucas tacho depot - they stick it on a rolling road and set it up. They could I'm sure also supply the necessary cables for connection. If you get an electronic one it will no doubt be much simpler but more expensive to connect it all :-D

My truck (drilling rig) has a Turner 5 speed box so I put the tacho on that (not that I need one, but it is very useful when marking out boreholes accurately, as in high range 0.1km division = 100metres, in low range 0.1km = 50metres). But I'm pretty certain there is a cable mount on the transfer box too.

If you are going to do a lot of driving the Turner box is a dream - you can get direct top (same as Bedford 4 speed) for better gear spacing, or an overdrive top for more speed, but still the long 'gap' between gears.

Edited by N.O.S.

• 2 weeks later...

N.O.S.

I would like to know more about the Turner 5 speed box that you refered to earlier.

Is it an alternative that can be used replace the stock Bedford MJ 4 speed box?

If it is I would be very interested in finding out how available they are and what the cost would be for one.

Thanks,

Robin

Once you have the tacho fitted it is a simple job to get it calibrated to your truck at for example a Lucas tacho depot - they stick it on a rolling road and set it up. They could I'm sure also supply the necessary cables for connection. If you get an electronic one it will no doubt be much simpler but more expensive to connect it all :-D

My truck (drilling rig) has a Turner 5 speed box so I put the tacho on that (not that I need one, but it is very useful when marking out boreholes accurately, as in high range 0.1km division = 100metres, in low range 0.1km = 50metres). But I'm pretty certain there is a cable mount on the transfer box too.

If you are going to do a lot of driving the Turner box is a dream - you can get direct top (same as Bedford 4 speed) for better gear spacing, or an overdrive top for more speed, but still the long 'gap' between gears.

think i need a tachograph, and these are tachometers?

A tachograph records speed and distance information. A tachometer is a device for reading speed of rotation of shafts and the like. Tachometer takes the form of a hand held meter, for reading motor speeds , spindle speeds and the like, or it may be a device driven by an H.T. leads sparks, or an injection impulse to tell you the instantanious speed of an engine without recording the result.

Tachograph and Tachometer are not the same thing.

(light blue touch paper and retire immediately...)