Bits for a QL

Sylvester

Question

Hi Folks,

Have been sorting out my old girl, and....on removing the radiator....and looking at the workshop manual....it is obvious that suprise suprise! ....Bits are missing!

Don't suppose anyone has a few spares in the filler cap area??

It is the bit that should fit into the actual top of the radiator, also....does anyone have a proper filler cap that they can describe if there should be some rubber and where exactly it goes??

(Waiting Richard!!)

This old girl is giving up her secrets slowly but shorely!!

What with the brake servo to master cylinder pushrod .....MISSING!!!.... this was clearly a Top job of a total renovation carried out for the previous owner eh!!

I await some usefull assistance!! Hopefully xx

All the Best Folks

Fred

6 answers to this question

Hi Folks,

Have been sorting out my old girl, and....on removing the radiator....and looking at the workshop manual....it is obvious that suprise suprise! ....Bits are missing!

Don't suppose anyone has a few spares in the filler cap area??

It is the bit that should fit into the actual top of the radiator, also....does anyone have a proper filler cap that they can describe if there should be some rubber and where exactly it goes??

(Waiting Richard!!)

Hello again Fred !

I am not sure what you have at present, but the filler neck and cap is secured to the front cowling by three screws, there is a rubber hose between the bottom of the neck and the top of the rad, it is not straight hose, but a convoluted type to allow movement betweeen cab and rad. If you want the complete neck and cab, the only way would be to find someone who is breaking one. Firstly, try John Morter to see what he has.

Do You never sleep mate!! I'm on nights!!!

As for my rad... I have the neck and all that, the hose is not the correct one...It's ...Straight!! Its the bit it shows in the WSMan. at the bottom of the rubber hose, where it attaches to the rad there should be another cup similar to the bit at the top of the hose, which the metal filler tube passes through. Something to do with the overflow system!

Also, the rad cap has absolutely no rubber on it, there is a small brass cap inside which has the chain attached to it which has holes in and steam is free to pass straight through this and runs over the inside of my cap! Which of course everytime she gets hot the darn thing just boils over! the water then P's down over the rad canopy and all over my windscreen!! It looks like it should have a rubber seal around the neck of the filler tube which of course would allow the steam and hot water to pass back into the neck and allow the spring in the filler tube to go down and allow the water into the outer part between the filler tube and the rubber hose??

Just wish I could have a shuffty at a properly fitted one to see what it should look like! Don't suppose you have any better diagrams?? or a photo??

I have the head off now, can't see any really obvious burnt valves!! Have re seated all the valves with the jolly old cutting paste!!

Hopeing to refit it all next week! I have this really horrible feeling though that after all this its going to be something really simple like the vacum advance after all!!!!!

We shall see eh!!

Thanks again mate,

Fred

Only fill the radiator so it just covers the fins. If you overfill the water gets pushed out and once flowing just seems to keep on emptying. The radiator cap do's not have a rubber seal but seals on the brass surface of the cap. My old QL and OXC threw its water out if I overfilled but was never a problem if I kept the water low. A thermostat in the system seemed to make it worse, I never had one fitted for this reason,

While the head is off try to flush out the cyld block. Silt collects around the rear cyld liner you may be able to poke around inside the block with a piece of stiff wire. This can help with keeping the water flowing to the rear of the engine.

Hi Fred,

Yes I do grab some sleep when I can :-D.

Retriever has more or less said what I would have, from experience when I remove the cap, I pull it just to one side and peer down the filler and the toggle on the end of the chain should just touch the coolant, no problems then. I have always had a thermostat in for the last 22 years without a problem. While the rad is out, give it a good flush out as well.

Cheers for that folks....I have flushed out the head at this time, some good old sludge came out, flushed the rad out too, that seems to be very clear!!... will give the rest of the block a good old poke about on monday when I get a chance to get over!

Thanks for all the help, just wondered about a rubber seal due to the shape of the casting around the neck?

I had already decided to make sure I didn't overfill the system next time but thanks for the supporting info.

thanks again

(will keep you up t speed Richard!!)

All the Best

Fred