What's this built on?

I was recently sent this scan of an armoured vehicle ...

flossie.jpg

... apparently it's from a book by David Fletcher 'The Great Tank Scandal'. I don't have the book but the person who sent the picture would like to know what vehicle the armoured truck is based on and what it was used for ... Home Guard? Can anyone help?

Nick.

Airfeild defence? Or as said many Home Gaurd, particullaly if they were near a shipyard or hevy enginnering work built their own.

That's a Ross sticking out the top and the front of a 1921 Thompson, there other possibly a Lee Enfeild NUMBER 1. That would lean me to Home Gaurd.

Possibly a factory gaurd unit.

Edited by Tony B

Thanks for the comments folks. My first thought was that it was a Bedford O' series looking at the front mudguards and bumper, but with only a single and not duel rear wheels? ... The radiator could be a Bedford type but could it also be an Austin? As always, this is the place to ask for the information.

Nick.

My first thought was that it was a Bedford O' series looking at the front mudguards and bumper, but with only a single and not duel rear wheels? ... The radiator could be a Bedford type but could it also be an Austin?

Nick,

The bumper is definitely Bedford, as is the grille from what can be seen. I think it does have twin wheels on the rear, the tyres are quite narrow and you can see the dish of the outer rear wheel.

I'm beginning to think this truck chassis is a dog, built from several bits. It's true, the radiator, from what I can see of it looks like it's from a Bedford O' series, but the early Austin K4's were similar, pitty we can't see the central radiator pillar. The front wings and bumper seem to be Bedford, but have a look at the N/S front wheel, there's six wheel nuts on it, didn't Ford's have six wheel nuts, and the wheel is a similar pattern? ... and that rear set doesn't look right?

Nick.

Edited by plastic constructor

It could be but the front hubs at least have been changed to 6 stud.

Nick.

Times were hard in those days, a case of make do and mend. New tyres could only be bought if you had a permit to operate, so my guess is they have changed hubs or complete axle over from a scrapped lorry, in order to get a set of good tyres. The wheels do not look like Austin or Bedford, but could well be Ford as has already been said.

Could have fitted a beefier back axle to cope with teh weight?

My thoughts exactly. However, I've been looking at photographs of K2's and the wheels and studs are the same including the back axles. The wings are similar and the front radiator cowling is enough to presume that it could be a K2 chassis. The bumper, well, that could be anything?

Nick.

The bumper, well, that could be anything?

On an O type Bedford the bumper is not stand alone, it is fitted to the front edge of the wings. The horizontal flutes in what can be seen of the grille, look to be more Beddy than Austin, by the depth of them. As for the wheels, and six stud hubs, I think that I might have found a possibilty. General Motors imported some Opel Blitz lorries to the UK prior to the war and looking at a pic of one, the wheel and front hub look similar, so most likely answer is hubs and wheels or complete axles were swapped. As for weight of the "armoured" body, it does not look very thick and most probably steel sheet that was found locally. An OL Bedford was rated at a 5 ton payload and makers advertised that they would cope with a 50% overload, so do not think there was any need to beef up the axles on the one pictured.

... I think that I might have found a possibilty. General Motors imported some Opel Blitz lorries to the UK prior to the war and looking at a pic of one, the wheel and front hub look similar, so most likely answer is hubs and wheels or complete axles were swapped.

I've not seen a six stud Opel hub, although they may heve been one. The suggestion of a full axle replacement isn't a bad explanation, although in this case I think it would have been a Ford. Alternatively, it's an Austin K2 chassis?

Nick.