Novice needs your help ( Bedford MJ crash rails)

BIG PAUL

I am seriously thinking about buying a Bedford MJ as my first vehicle.........all the members were very helpful last night when i posted the Question about getting one registered for the road, for that thank you all ........

this is all new to me and i don't want to make a mistake......one of the members said about crash rails must be fitted to the side and rear of the truck for the M O T ...... can anybody tell me the specifications of this or has anybody got any pictures of the completed project

thanks big Paul

I am seriously thinking about buying a Bedford MJ as my first vehicle.........all the members were very helpful last night when i posted the Question about getting one registered for the road, for that thank you all ........

this is all new to me and i don't want to make a mistake......one of the members said about crash rails must be fitted to the side and rear of the truck for the M O T ...... can anybody tell me the specifications of this or has anybody got any pictures of the completed project

thanks big Paul

See Reg 51 Road Vehicle (construction and Use ) Regs 1986.

Basically side guards (and rear under run bar) must be fitted to any motor vehicle, first used on or after 1st April 1984.

(First use = first use by Army, not first civilian registration.)

The guards must be no wider than than the vehicles normal width, nor set in more than 30mm from the outerwall of the rear tyres.

Gap between front wheel and bars (and rear wheel and bars) not to exceed 300mm.

The bars to be at least 100mm wide or high. Maximum gap between lowest bar and ground 550mm. No gap between bars to be bigger than 300mm, and the gap between top bar and onderside of body not to exceed 350mm.

Rear guards, gap from end of bar to outer sidewall of rear tyres to be min 100mm max 300mm. Gap uder bar not to exceed 550mm, and rear bar not to be less than 100mm deep.

Edited by antarmike
Date should have read April not January

Basically side guards (and rear under run bar) must be fitted to any motor vehicle, first used on or after 1st Jan 1984.

The guards must be no wider than than the vehicles normal width, nor set in more than 30mm from the outerwall of the rear tyres.

The bars to be at least 100mm wide ot high. Maximum gap between lowest bar and ground 550mm. No gap between bars to be bigger than 300mm, and the gap between top bar and onderside of body not to exceed 350mm.

Rear guards, gap from end of bat to outer sidewall of rear tyres to be min 100mm max 300mm. Gap uder bar not to exceed 550mm, and rear bar not to be less than 100mm deep.

And all welded i take it ..... not removable ?

Edited by Marmite!!
quote tags

Basically side guards (and rear under run bar) must be fitted to any motor vehicle, first used on or after 1st Jan 1984.

The bars to be at least 100mm wide ot high. Maximum gap between lowest bar and ground 550mm. No gap between bars to be bigger than 300mm, and the gap between top bar and onderside of body not to exceed 350mm.

Rear guards, gap from end of bat to outer sidewall of rear tyres to be min 100mm max 300mm. Gap uder bar not to exceed 550mm, and rear bar not to be less than 100mm deep.[

And all welded i take it ..... not removable ?

As far as I know they can be bolted on. I cannot find regs on OPSI site, so I am quoting Traffic Officers handbook, which doesn't go into contruction, just description of physical size required.

As far as I know they can be bolted on. I cannot find regs on OPSI site, so I am quoting Traffic Officers handbook, which doesn't go into contruction, just description of physical size required.

Maybe best to weld them and get the green paint out......thanks antarmike

Maybe best to weld them and get the green paint out......thanks antarmike

Traffic officer's handbook refers to exemption from fitting for defence vehicles. This probally means "operational" military vehicles, but since I can't finf the regs on OPSI I don't know what the actual act says about exemptions.

Thankyou loggyDriver that's very helpful ....its a shame you have to do these things and spoil the look of your vehicle..... but i suppose its better than scraping some pore motorbike rider off the tred of my spare wheel

Hi BiG Paul.

Send STONE a pm and ask if he can send you some photos of his vehicle of the side and rear

under gaurd that my company fitted to his MJ. This vehicle still needed to be able to go off road and a simple modification was made to the rails so that you could remove each side in less than 30seconds.

The only problem with welding is that the drop down bars are galved so you will need to grind

some of the Galv off the bracketts which may lead to rust problems in the future if not reprotected.

Its better to bolt the side guards on with the bolt kit that is provided in the kit.

Hope this is of some help.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Good get out clause :cool2:

'a vehicle so constructed that it can be unloaded by part being tipped sideways or rearwards;'

Most MVs have lifting eyes at the front and few vehicles would retain their load when fully tipped rearwards or sideways.

All our 190 trailers at work have the bars clamped not welded to the chassis.

Hi BiG Paul.

Send STONE a pm and ask if he can send you some photos of his vehicle of the side and rear

under gaurd that my company fitted to his MJ. This vehicle still needed to be able to go off road and a simple modification was made to the rails so that you could remove each side in less than 30seconds.

The only problem with welding is that the drop down bars are galved so you will need to grind

some of the Galv off the bracketts which may lead to rust problems in the future if not reprotected.

Its better to bolt the side guards on with the bolt kit that is provided in the kit.

Hope this is of some help.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Clive,

How much do you charge for the side and rear guards? Are they a fitting kit that just bolt on and do they use existing bolt holes or do you need to drill fresh holes?

Good get out clause :cool2:

'a vehicle so constructed that it can be unloaded by part being tipped sideways or rearwards;'

Most MVs have lifting eyes at the front and few vehicles would retain their load when fully tipped rearwards or sideways.

All our 190 trailers at work have the bars clamped not welded to the chassis.

i think that means "'a vehicle so constructed that it can be unloaded by part (of the vehicle) being tipped sideways or rearwards"

That is not the same as upending the complete vehicle!

Is there nothing re off road vehicles (or with capability for off road ops) as surely some with side bars would be impeded or become stuck if side and rear under run bars got in way of ground in deep ruts, high angle slopes especially rear fouling and becoming grounded. Unless they were removable of course.

Gary

Is there nothing re off road vehicles (or with capability for off road ops) as surely some with side bars would be impeded or become stuck if side and rear under run bars got in way of ground in deep ruts, high angle slopes especially rear fouling and becoming grounded. Unless they were removable of course.

Gary

Exempted

vehicles incapable of exceeding 15 MPH on the flat

Artic tractor units

Engineering plant

Fire engines

Agricultural motor vehicle or trailer

Rear or side tippers

Defence vehicles

vehicles travelling to have bars fitted

Street cleaning vehicles

Trailers for lengthy beams

Vehicles for carrying vehicles

Trailers not over 750mm High

Trailers temporarily in Britain (first twelve months)

That's all folks

i think that means "'a vehicle so constructed that it can be unloaded by part (of the vehicle) being tipped sideways or rearwards"

That is not the same as upending the complete vehicle!

Yes I realised that hence the smiley, but the regulation does seem rather vague. In the USA/Canada it is quite a common way to tip grain transporters.

Tipper..jpg

That Canadian truck picture is unbelievable! My MJ has removeble sidebars but truth be told there is no way I'm going to be driving anywhere I need to unbolt them. They are higher than the axles and other equipment anyway. They look great though, like they have always been there and they are an important safetey feature for road use!

Clive,

How much do you charge for the side and rear guards? Are they a fitting kit that just bolt on and do they use existing bolt holes or do you need to drill fresh holes?

Hi LoggyDriver.

PM sent.

Clive

protruckservices.com

If you do the measurements you find the bars only wind up about 10cm lower than the spare wheel, there's plenty of space if it's just a ploughed field. If it's worse just pull the pins out and take them off, like Clive said it only takes 30 seconds :)

No pics of mine, I'm afraid (there's some secret squirrel stuff mounted on it) but they do look dead good in green!

Stone