Slapton Sands Tank

fesm_ndt

The problem with the memorial is a small anti- memorial cadre in Local Government in the Torcross area and the future of the memorial seems to regularily the subject of debate.

I would recomend

Channel Firing by Nigel Lewis. ISBN 10 0670823988 and

The Invasion Before Normandy by Edwin P Hoyt. ISBN 0 7090 3266 8

There is also any good article in After the Battle Magazine No 45

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Small, his single minded effort to bring this memorial to fruition had a toll on him which is reflected to an extent in his book. He was very highly regarded by veterans and their families who are the people who count in this matter.

slapton m4a1 front.jpg

slapton m4a1.jpg

Edited by steveo578
correction of ATB No.

It really is. As you probably gathered I stumbled across it by accident and, had it not been there, would never have realised the significance of the beach we'd ended up by- cause to stop and think, certainly.

Would be a real shame if it was moved because of local strength of feeling- some things are more important that what a few stuck- up NIMBYs think.

Ken Smalls book The Forgotten Dead

My Uncle gave me a copy in the late 90's, the last time I ever saw him...

What is the detailed reason behind the councils disaproval of the memorial? Is it more than likely that it will be removed, or just a back room moan on the part of council officials?