Artillery

Also known over here as cannon cockers.

I recall reading of artillery units being used in No Africa ? and other areas in ground defence , that they depressed the guns to fire horizontally and wrote of firing over open sights , basically aiming down the gun barrel I take it .

• 2 weeks later...

I recall reading of artillery units being used in No Africa ? and other areas in ground defence , that they depressed the guns to fire horizontally and wrote of firing over open sights , basically aiming down the gun barrel I take it .

Yes, that's correct. My father's battery in Northern France actually engaged a German tank (Tiger?) over open sights with a 5.5" gun! - apparantly some SS unit got around behind the lines and ended up in front of the battery. Change of underwear for all. My father, being a battery surveyor, was actually, in this particular case "behind enemy lines".

In North Africa, anti-tank regiments were actually using 25pdrs (firing 20pd solid shot) in this mode.With heavier guns, this was relatively rare.

Firing over open sights is Known in Artillery terms as 'Point Blank Range'! :shocked:

Just thinking of the German 88 originally built as an AAA gun , they found when used in a last ditch defence against ground targets it made a Great AT weapon and then mounted in the Tiger and King Tiger as the main weapon . Pardon if I used or left out any of the others tanks it was used in .

Edited by abn deuce
spelling